Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The saddest part is that denying the truth doesn't make it not true. :(

I love this quote.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »
    So I started work almost a month ago and I have reverted back to my old routine. I'm not at all happy with myself. I find it very difficult to try to eat healthy at work. I don't have enough time to sit and eat a salad. We have a bar that is available to us (fried chicken, potato wedges, burger sliders), which makes it even worse. I'm​ too tired to exercise and my feet hurt too bad to even think about it. I'm not necessarily needing an answer, I'm just afraid I've gained my weight back.

you can eat those things just take less than what you usually eat from the bar.if you can get a premade(small) salad and have that with some chicken and some wedges. or pack some precut veggies to have with those things to balance it out.weight loss is not about healthy eating per se,its about a caloric deficit. eating healthy is for health reasons,but everyone defines healthy eating differently.

I still eat things I like in moderation and have less of it, my health has improved. there were 2-3 months were I was out with an injury and couldnt exercise and I still lost weight. eat what you like just less of it and dont worry too much about it. Its not about what you eat but how much.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I put away the leftovers from dinner, I will most of the time pack some for my lunch the next day. I also pack snacks, and I pre-log everything. That keeps me on track. (I admit this past week I have been lazy, and have paid the price by making bad nutritional choices.)
  • Rajions
    Rajions Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can you meal prep your food and take your lunch? I make my lunches once at the beginning of the week for the entire week. I make easy stuff and probably use an hour to make it all, pack it in meal containers, and stick it all in the fridge. Then I have healthy food that I know the calories etc and can track accurately and it makes my morning so easy because I can just grab it on the way out the door. There's lots of meal prepping vids on YouTube. I'd be happy to share my two favs if you're interested:) You don't even need to exercise if you're eating at a deficit.

I don't have a regular break at work. I just get 5-mintue breaks. I'm constantly on the move at work that I don't even take a break sometimes. I thought about meal prep before I started working, but after the first day I knew that wouldn't be possible
  • Rajions
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    So I started work almost a month ago and I have reverted back to my old routine. I'm not at all happy with myself. I find it very difficult to try to eat healthy at work. I don't have enough time to sit and eat a salad. We have a bar that is available to us (fried chicken, potato wedges, burger sliders), which makes it even worse. I'm​ too tired to exercise and my feet hurt too bad to even think about it. I'm not necessarily needing an answer, I'm just afraid I've gained my weight back.

Stop making excuses and take responsibility for how much food you put on your plate and stuff down your throat.

You can lose weight eating fried chicken, potato wedges and sliders.

I'm not making excuses and I'm not stuffing my face... It's just the fact that I'm eating that junk.....
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I worked in a gas station, usually as the only one there. I had to lock the doors to go to the restroom. I took a protein bar and ate it in between the customers. This might be a way to skip the bar and stay within your goal. Good luck.
  • Rajions
    Options
    I worked in a gas station, usually as the only one there. I had to lock the doors to go to the restroom. I took a protein bar and ate it in between the customers. This might be a way to skip the bar and stay within your goal. Good luck.

I thought about getting a protein bar there but the sugars are Soo high.. I guess if I don't eat anymore sugar then it should be fine. Thanks :)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical issue where you need to limit your sugar? If not, then there's nothing wrong with it. (Nothing wrong with the fried chicken and potato wedges either, in moderation.)

Weight loss is all about the calories, although nutrition is a different matter. If a protein bar is all you can fit in, try it and see how that works for you. Take note of how they affect you, though - for me personally I have to avoid maltitol because it does nasty things to my digestion, but other people don't have any problems with it!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

I thought about getting a protein bar there but the sugars are Soo high.. I guess if I don't eat anymore sugar then it should be fine. Thanks :)

are you diabetic? Surely the cafeteria food isn't great for someone with diabetes either.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat on the go, then make foods that you can grab on the go! Nuts, protein bars, a protein shake in the morning, Eat your breakfast in the morning before work, you can have your "on the go food" at work and then eat a well balanced dinner.
  • kevin_montgomery
    kevin_montgomery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like to prep and pre-log lunch (I don't eat breakfast) during the work week. Doesn't get much easier than that and I don't have to rely on others to supply me with appropriate food choices.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options

There are lower sugar protein bars and powders out there. If you have a Costco nearby, they offer both a Kirkland brand low sugar protein bar (reminiscent of Quest) and several options for low sugar protein powder (Muscle Milk and Optimum Nutrition). Also, check your grocery store bulk section, a lot of time they have plain whey protein and you can mix up your own flavors. Protein powders are nice because you can stick a portion in a baggie in your pocket or purse and all you need is a bottle or glass of water.

You could also consider baking a big batch or protein muffins (or something) on you day/time off that you can take and eat during your short breaks.

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you do not have time to prep a meal, I'm guessing that the bar at your workplace is run by a larger food catering company. If you ask, I'm sure they'll tell you how to find the nutrition information. Then you can work it into your day more easily.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of low or no sugar protein bars available (Think Thin, Quest, Pure Protein...)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, cut up fruit, sandwiches cut in 4 (chicken salad, peanut butter and jelly), berries, jerky, Greek yogurt, string cheese, nuts.

I know (from experience) how hard it is to eat well in this environment. But if you don't want to gain you have to plan and be creative. Think of all the things that you like to eat, that do not have to be heated. Prep it in small pieces so you can easily grab a bite when you have a minute. If you can grab the food there in your five minutes, then you can grab the food you weigh, log and bring with you instead.

You CAN make this work, you just have to make the effort.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What about having a protein shake and adding some stuff to it like spinach, fruit and unsweetened almond milk. I have that for my lunch so I don't have to think about what to eat and it keeps me pretty full. I also have a morning and afternoon snack but if it's just lunch you are trying to figure out it could be an option. I make mine in the morning in our blender and have half for my breakfast and the other half for lunch, it works for me and is pretty low cal. Good luck we all have off days but tomorrow if fresh with no mistakes.
  • Rajions
    Options
    What I don't understand is why you don't have time to eat a salad, but do have time to eat fried chicken, potato wedges, and burger sliders. If you're eating the fried stuff in your five minute breaks, then can't you do the same with the salad? (I apologize if I'm missing something blindingly obvious here.)

I don't have a fridge nearby and the hot foods are like 5 feet from me. I don't want to have my salad all soggy and warm.
  • Rajions
    Options
    What I don't understand is why you don't have time to eat a salad, but do have time to eat fried chicken, potato wedges, and burger sliders. If you're eating the fried stuff in your five minute breaks, then can't you do the same with the salad? (I apologize if I'm missing something blindingly obvious here.)

And I don't really even get a break some days because it is always really busy. So I'll just grab a couple fries or chicken and that's what I do..
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Whether you get on the scale or don't won't change what the scale says will it? It would give you peace of mind to know where you are currently at and it might help give you the nudge you need. You're the only one who can make this change in your life. No one can do it for you.