Grip aids for pushing exercises?

Options
I'm a 52 year old former competitive bodybuilder who has recently (finally) gotten back into the gym. I've been diagnosed with a degenerative joint disease that is affecting both thumbs. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some kind of grip aid that will work for pushing exercises (bench press, shoulder press, etc.). I use straps for curls and pulling exercises, but they're useless for pushing. I prefer free weights to machines. I'm OG that way. ;-) I don't need grip strengthening exercises I already know those and when I asked the occupational therapist about them, he handed me a book with all kind of ideas for protecting and babying the joints. Yeah.....no. Not yet. I still have weights to sling. Anyway, we have so many medical and technical advances that I thought there MUST be something out there that will help and I thought I'd reach out on here to see if anyone knew of such a thing. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Profile Design makes non-adhesive (which means reuseable) cork bar tape. It's maybe $10 a roll.
  • sssynnamon
    sssynnamon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, I checked it out, but I wasn't clear. I should have ensured that it is understood that I can't engage my thumbs in order to hold on to a weight. I have to grip with just the other 4 fingers on each hand. This works fine with straps for pulling motions, but not so great for pushing weights that actually challenge the muscle groups I want to work. Thanks for the quick suggestion, anyway!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Technically you don't need to grip with your thumbs at all. You can use suicide/false/thumbless grip (look them up on youtube if you're not familiar) on pretty much any pushing exercise. Obviously use the proper safety precautions if you're going down this path, especially with bench press. I use it a lot because gripping with my thumbs causes my hands to cramp up (a side effect of carpal tunnel syndrome from what I can tell).

Wrist wraps can help a lot as well, especially wearing them tight and right up against the bottom of your hands. It kinda forces your hand closed as a side effect which can help stabilize your pushing grip.
  • sssynnamon
    Options
    Thanks. The suicide grip is what I've been using, but my traitorous hands refuse to hold on to sufficient weight to train at the level I want. That's why I was wondering if anything had been developed to assist. Actually, there is something in existence, but it's cost prohibitive for someone who doesn't intend to compete again.

Your wrist wrapping suggestion does give me an idea, though. Thanks!
  • sssynnamon
    Options
    *****UPDATE*****
    I found what I was looking for. I can't figure out how to post a photo. They are called Grip Power Pads (Reverse) and have a thick hook that faces the palm so a barbell or dumbbell won't fall when you're working out. Ordered from Amazon for less than $35.00. Can't wait to be able to push some more challenging weights!