Damn weekends...

Options
Just wondering...:blushing:
if I eat really really heathly on the weekends, and even go a bit below my calories, and then dont count at all on the weekends, and pretty much eat what ever I want , will i still lose weight and tone up? Or Do I have to be completely consistant??

Replies

• mamashrub
    Options
    Just wondering...:blushing:
    if I eat really really heathly on the weekends, and even go a bit below my calories, and then dont count at all on the weekends, and pretty much eat what ever I want , will i still lose weight and tone up? Or Do I have to be completely consistant??
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    omg me too! i blew it totally daquiri, chinese.......ugh but....i did weigh today and it didnt show gain...i may have jolted my metabolism since im so strict during the week..at least i hope it doesnt catch up! lt me know too please anyone!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I take each day at a time and it has worked for me. You need to find what works for you. If you mess up a weekend, don't give up... just get back on track as soon as you can. Take a look in the motivation messages and read my U-Turn message (and bump it up for the rest of our weekend regreters).
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    :sad: I was wondering the same thing because I tend to slip on counting calories on the weekends??

Please help us!
  • mamashrub
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I take each day at a time and it has worked for me. You need to find what works for you. If you mess up a weekend, don't give up... just get back on track as soon as you can. Take a look in the motivation messages and read my U-Turn message (and bump it up for the rest of our weekend regreters).
    what is the u turn message??
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    :laugh: I am the same way. I eat really good during the week, but come the weekend I always slip up. I do get in my exercises for both days though. I just don't have the will power for the weekends. I guess if we're not gaining too much it will be okay.
    Pam
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need to learn to be consistent. If I'm not watching myself I can easily overeat by 3500 cals in a matter of a day or 2- there goes that lb you thought you'd lose this week. Plus if you're indulging every weekend, you're never going to get out of that habit. There's nothing wrong with having a treat, but you need to hold yourself accountable. want that 500 cal dessert? Make yourself do a workout ot burn 500 cals. It's a trade off, but you get what you want in the end. Occaisionally I treat myself and don't even look at the calorie count, but I'm talking about 1 meal every month, whereing I may go over my daily allotment by 100-500 cals, not really doing much damage in the long run. If you want to do this, and you want it to work, you have to give up weekend splurges. It'll take work and it won't be easy, but you can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • mamashrub
    Options
    I'd say you need to learn to be consistent. If I'm not watching myself I can easily overeat by 3500 cals in a matter of a day or 2- there goes that lb you thought you'd lose this week. Plus if you're indulging every weekend, you're never going to get out of that habit. There's nothing wrong with having a treat, but you need to hold yourself accountable. want that 500 cal dessert? Make yourself do a workout ot burn 500 cals. It's a trade off, but you get what you want in the end. Occaisionally I treat myself and don't even look at the calorie count, but I'm talking about 1 meal every month, whereing I may go over my daily allotment by 100-500 cals, not really doing much damage in the long run. If you want to do this, and you want it to work, you have to give up weekend splurges. It'll take work and it won't be easy, but you can do it. :flowerforyou:

Actually, that is all I was going over...just no more then 600 cals...and I do my work out..6-7 days a week, for an hour or more each time..
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Here's how I think about it.

If you used to eat bad 7 days a week. Going to 2 days a week is a huge change. You should still lose weight. However, if you used to eat bad 3 days a week and now eat bad 2 days a week...you probably won't see much change.

If you want to lose more weight, then you should be more consistent. Especially if you are down to the last 10 pounds. It'll be tougher to lose the weight if you keep eating bad over the weekends.

I'm sure everyone is different and I'm sure everyone's binge weekends are not the same. One person might go over 100 calories and think they ate bad. Some will go over 2000 a day.

You'll see what's good or bad over the next few weeks when you do or do not see changes.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I try to stay consistent during the weekends too. Usually if I do have a cheat day tho, I make sure I don't go over 200 extra cals. I eat mini/low cals meals during the day so I can enjoy my splurge, without doing damage! But I have found, I can't eat nearly as much as I used to anyway.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Actually, that is all I was going over...just no more then 600 cals...and I do my work out..6-7 days a week, for an hour or more each time..

Then I'm a little confused. If you're working if off anyway then why are you concerned? If you're not going ove ryour daily calories you can't gain fat anyway.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I found this online - thought it was interesting. (http://daily.finerminds.com/body/nutrition-diet/watching-your-weight-beware-of-the-weekend-binge/)

In the Washington University study, researchers tracked the food intake, exercise and body weight of 48 adults, aged 50-60, for one year. Prior to the study, the researchers determined that those participating consistently gained weight on weekends. At the beginning of the study, participants were divided into three groups. Group one reduced their daily calorie intake by 20%, group two increased daily physical activity by 20%, and the control group didn’t change their eating or their exercise habits.

During the one-year study, all three groups consumed significantly more calories on the weekend compared to the weekdays. The calorie-restricted group stopped losing weight on the weekend and the exercise group gained weight. In addition, other research shows that people who maintain their healthy eating throughout the week are 1.5 times more likely to keep off those unwanted pounds.

You might think eating sensibly all the time is impossible. Chances are you’re probably right. Every once and a while it’s fine to indulge—have a slice of chocolate cake, treat yourself to a cheeseburger.

It becomes problematic when the diet ‘cheat’ meal or day stretches into the ‘cheat’ weekend. If you’re indulging all weekend and every weekend that means you’re overeating 29% of the time, and it’s going to show.
  • doodlebug
    doodlebug Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    great point on the 29%....had not thought of it that way:smile:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    great point on the 29%....had not thought of it that way:smile:

It is a good, point, but I can't take credit - All i did was google.:wink:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i also had a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD weekend. my first since the new year. but you know what? i spent time with my family, went to a party, got out of the house and did social things. i also walked for over an hour today... so they kep is not to beat yoursefl about it. eat heathy and exercsie tomorrow!