My mouth is "hungry" even though my stomach isn't...

Options
One of the benefits of following the MFP plan for the past 7 weeks (22 pounds lost) is that I now check in with my stomach to see if I'm really hungry before I eat. However, I often find a conflict between my mouth and my stomach. My mouth "feels hungry", but when I do a reality check with my stomach, I find that it feels satisfied, and isn't hungry at all. Any suggestions on how to combat this and get my mouth more in line with my stomach? I've tried water and decaf green tea without much difference.

Replies

• svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Gum or hard candy usually works for me! When I say hard candy I mean like one lemon drop or something. Not a whole box :tongue:
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I'd suggest gum but I'm not really sure what you mean by mouth hungry. Like craving a certain food?
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Try mints or brushing your teeth. You're probably like me; your mouth needs flavor even if you're not hungry. The minty taste will make you not want to eat.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    hahah Story of my life!! Like you're no longer hungry, but the food tastes good so you'd like to keep the taste in your mouth which means eating more!

I try to brush my teeth immediately after I finish eating
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my mouth often wants food that my stomach doesn't want (or need).

Try some other varieties of tea: there are tons of different kinds of black, green, white, herbal teas. I like variety, so I mix it up and have different kinds in the house. Peppermint and other minty kinds seem especially satisfying for my sweet tooth, and is pretty good iced in the hot weather.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Gum is my go to - I also only bring so much food to work, and don't let myself go get snacks, so once it's gone, it's gone! For example, this morning I already ate my first snack, and now I'm nearly through my second - which was supposed to be for after lunch. But regardless, when the food is gone, I'm done, and since it's already logged, it doesn't REALLY matter when I eat it.

If your mouth or hand just wants something to do, try a sucker, a piece of beef jerky, playing with silly putty, etc... another thing would be to put some (salt free) herbs in a bag and stick your finger in, lick, repeat - low calorie and the spicy pepper taste or whatever you use can help your mouth behave.

good luck, I understand the issue!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Also an advocate for gum!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    hmm, I struggle with this, too.
    I just have to really pay attention and decide if it's just a craving or if I'm hungry.
    I'm not perfect at it. Yet.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink Peppermint Tea every afternoon. It is refreshing and allows me to be 'consuming' something. Other herbal teas, like Orange ones, work well too.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was used to eating LARGE meals so I understand what you mean. I try to eat slower so it feels like I've been eating longer. It sounds odd but make sure you chew and taste the food. Many times I have rushed through and two minutes later the meal is over. I feel more satisfied if I take my time. I find it helps to put my fork down between bites. I also make sure I finish one bite before I pick up another. Eat slow, enjoy more.
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Changing your environment is a sure fire cure. If you're watching TV or working .. go to a different room or floor. Take a walk around the block, etc. Pretty soon you will have forgotten your craving.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    oh and tictaks! only 2cal per tictak...
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You should try Extra Dessert Delights...only 5 calories per stick and it comes in some amazing flavors. My favorite is mint chocolate chip ice cream. I heard they just came out with Apple Pie but haven't tried it yet but I will soon! It makes you feel like you are giving into a sweet craving but it won't un-do your entire day. :smile: