Pig out fix tommorow >_<

Options
What do you do after a long pig out because of vacation? I average 2000 surplus everyday which last for 4 days so totally I eat 8000 surplus, should I cut back some again? I know that I shouldn't weigh myself tommorow because water retention is inside of me lol give me some tips on comment box thanks

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I go on a small deficit, set MFP to lose .5 lbs a week, exercise like I usually do so I can eat a little more and don't put much more thought into it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Came here hoping for a re-feed :D
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    I go on a small deficit, set MFP to lose .5 lbs a week, exercise like I usually do so I can eat a little more and don't put much more thought into it.
    I'll step at scale first and see how much should I cut after 4-6 days :)

Came here hoping for a re-feed :D
    :lol:

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do is be ashamed of yourself for eating too much. Next, you should weigh yourself anyway. Maybe the shock of seeing a big number will knock some sense into you. After that, you should continue eating at whatever deficit you've been eating at. The whole purpose of eating at a deficit is to make up for overeating you've already done. It takes time and you can't make up for bad decisions by increasing your deficit without causing yourself problems.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do is be ashamed of yourself for eating too much. Next, you should weigh yourself anyway. Maybe the shock of seeing a big number will knock some sense into you. After that, you should continue eating at whatever deficit you've been eating at. The whole purpose of eating at a deficit is to make up for overeating you've already done. It takes time and you can't make up for bad decisions by increasing your deficit without causing yourself problems.
    Thanks sir, planning to cut for a week or two for now.

• hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I should be ashamed of myself for always thinking about donuts :) Someday I will feel really ashamed of myself cause I'm just gonna eat one or two.......just kidding. When I decide to do that I will feel no guilt and I will enjoy them and savor them to the fullest. Life's too short!!!!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

I was gonna say be ashamed for knowing how much more you ate on vacation.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Just run off the extra calories, I do it every weekend simple
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

this here is pretty harsh.. :(

OP, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Vacations are awesome breaks and even from dieting. Should enjoy yourself and if the 2000 calorie surplus over maintenance calories is indeed what you consumed, just create you .5 pound a week deficit (250 calories) and get back right into your normal eating patterns.

You may not have gained much if at all in 4 days and predict most of this will even back out in a few days.

Question is, did you enjoy your vacation? I hope so. :)
    The first thing you should do is be ashamed of yourself for eating too much. Next, you should weigh yourself anyway. Maybe the shock of seeing a big number will knock some sense into you.

Really Timothy? Ashamed Timothy? Castigated for enjoying a four day holiday Timothy?

You must be a right barrel of laughs to be on vacation with!

What's important is what he does for the other 361 days this year not those 4 on vacation.
    After that, you should continue eating at whatever deficit you've been eating at. The whole purpose of eating at a deficit is to make up for overeating you've already done.

Who said he was on a deficit before the vacation he could have been maintaining. It is the maintaining board.

@ferd_ttp5 ok maybe 2K per day was a little excessive LOL. However, you'll have done very little damage 4 days that you can't undo very easily and quickly.

I personally work hard all year so I can enjoy and kick back on vacation but I'll be honest and say I still have half an eye on what I eat (or more precisely drink) as I know I'll need to undo all the fun. (and I live in Sweden so I have 6 weeks of vacation every year to undo).

As for what to do. If you were at maintenance see what your weight is next week and if its outside of your tolerances then go into a small deficit.

If you were in a deficit before just go back to that deficit ASAP. All you've done it extend your weight loss period by a week.

Really? Must we really coddle people?

The thing is, this whole "I'm on vacation, so I should be able to eat more than I need" thing is a very bad way view food. It is essentially the same thing as someone saying, "I had a terrible day at work so I'm going to go eat a bucket of ice cream." When you start telling yourself that you somehow deserve to eat more you setting yourself up for failure and it won't be long before you'll begin to find more and more reasons why you deserve to eat more than you burn. The OP claims to have overeaten by 8,000 calories or about 2.3 lbs of fat. Let's say it takes him a couple of weeks to lose two pounds of that and then something else comes up that results in overeating. Another couple of weeks and more overeating. The end result is weight gain rather than weight loss, even though during the time between overeating a deficit is maintained. This is a very bad idea.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There is a wide space between shame and coddling and I think a healthy response to overeating will fall somewhere within that space. Shame, for the most part, is a negative and debilitating emotion and results in paralysis or reactivity. It rarely results in making healthy changes. Occasions of overeating are a part of a healthy lifestyle and need to be recognized as such or change will not be lasting.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    There is a wide space between shame and coddling and I think a healthy response to overeating will fall somewhere within that space. Shame, for the most part, is a negative and debilitating emotion and results in paralysis or reactivity. It rarely results in making healthy changes. Occasions of overeating are a part of a healthy lifestyle and need to be recognized as such or change will not be lasting.

Apparently you haven't seen the latest research showing that "positive reinforcement" isn't the best training method. I'm not going to say that positive reinforcement isn't good, but if the reason you are opposing something is because it is "negative" then you don't have any ground to stand on.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am actually aware that positive reinforcement is not an effective tool for change. I don't disagree with shaming because it is negative. I disagree with it because it is ineffective. When people are shamed they tend to either get stuck or go to extremes of doing what they are shamed for. There are effective strategies for change that do not involve shaming or positive reinforcement.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't do anything, I just continue as normal. The graph bellow shows Christmas and New Years this year. You'll see the very evident increase in weight in December (lots of chocolate and big calorie meals) followed by a normal down-trend of the weight loss I was on. It probably delayed my goal weight being achieved by a month or so. iozvuosrien3.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

this here is pretty harsh.. :(

OP, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Vacations are awesome breaks and even from dieting. Should enjoy yourself and if the 2000 calorie surplus over maintenance calories is indeed what you consumed, just create you .5 pound a week deficit (250 calories) and get back right into your normal eating patterns.

You may not have gained much if at all in 4 days and predict most of this will even back out in a few days.

Question is, did you enjoy your vacation? I hope so. :)
    The first thing you should do is be ashamed of yourself for eating too much. Next, you should weigh yourself anyway. Maybe the shock of seeing a big number will knock some sense into you.

Really Timothy? Ashamed Timothy? Castigated for enjoying a four day holiday Timothy?

You must be a right barrel of laughs to be on vacation with!

What's important is what he does for the other 361 days this year not those 4 on vacation.
    After that, you should continue eating at whatever deficit you've been eating at. The whole purpose of eating at a deficit is to make up for overeating you've already done.

Who said he was on a deficit before the vacation he could have been maintaining. It is the maintaining board.

@ferd_ttp5 ok maybe 2K per day was a little excessive LOL. However, you'll have done very little damage 4 days that you can't undo very easily and quickly.

I personally work hard all year so I can enjoy and kick back on vacation but I'll be honest and say I still have half an eye on what I eat (or more precisely drink) as I know I'll need to undo all the fun. (and I live in Sweden so I have 6 weeks of vacation every year to undo).

As for what to do. If you were at maintenance see what your weight is next week and if its outside of your tolerances then go into a small deficit.

If you were in a deficit before just go back to that deficit ASAP. All you've done it extend your weight loss period by a week.

Really? Must we really coddle people?

The thing is, this whole "I'm on vacation, so I should be able to eat more than I need" thing is a very bad way view food. It is essentially the same thing as someone saying, "I had a terrible day at work so I'm going to go eat a bucket of ice cream." When you start telling yourself that you somehow deserve to eat more you setting yourself up for failure and it won't be long before you'll begin to find more and more reasons why you deserve to eat more than you burn. The OP claims to have overeaten by 8,000 calories or about 2.3 lbs of fat. Let's say it takes him a couple of weeks to lose two pounds of that and then something else comes up that results in overeating. Another couple of weeks and more overeating. The end result is weight gain rather than weight loss, even though during the time between overeating a deficit is maintained. This is a very bad idea.

And I am also of the belief that in a short period of time these extra calories are not turning into fat either. Repeated days and days of over eating sure the fat gain will creep, but 4 days, she did not gain all fat from this..

She is certainly a grown person and very well aware of what she was doing, she only asked for advice on what we do when we come back on vacation and we clearly stated just get back to slight deficit and it will all work itself out.

You are truly harsh in your words, and I never coddle, there is a fine line between being tactful and just out right mean for something you clearly have very much contempt for, perhaps personal experience? Do you really think vacation has changed OP for life from here on out?

It was vacation, just vacation.

eta for clarity
  • janpoodles
    janpoodles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What do you do? If you are serious about losing weight, you try to rein in your impulses and make eating healthy and in proper portions a part of your lifestyle. We all overdo it at times but I don't think using vacation as an excuse will serve you well in the long run - there are always excuses. So try again. I hope you had a good vacation.