Mommy work-outs

Options
bf1110
bf1110 Posts: 72 Member
I'm finding it very hard to find any time to work out. I have a 2 month old who seems to b stuck up my butt. Lol. How do you other mommies get a work out in?

Replies

• tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    At 2mo old, your baby is still brand new! And likely needs to be very close all the time. Take walks in the stroller or strapped to your chest. Get fresh air - it'll be good for you both. When the baby is sleeping, get some strength training in. But be kind to yourself and patient! The more lengthy workouts will come!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Look up fitformoms or stroller strides
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Your kid takes naps?
    Some gyms have day care services.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Your kid takes naps?

Lol not at 2 months old.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Your kid takes naps?

Lol not at 2 months old.

Truth.

Just going for walks baby wearing or with the stroller is a great start to exercising again. I didn't join a gym until LO was 5 months old, so can't offer any other suggestions. At this stage sleep was priority #1 for me.
  • Mama_vsg_Nessa
    Mama_vsg_Nessa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use to wear my baby and do lunges and squats across the house. If we got too hot, I would take a break....lay her on a blanket on the floor and do planks or pushups. If she was crying or I was feeding her I would do bouncing squats. She would be my weight and I would lift her...make noises...bring her down again. She thought it was a game and mommy was playing but I was playing and exercising. We would also go walking/jogging on the nicer days. There are ways to fit exercise in if you can be clever with it.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I started off with mom and baby yoga where essentially mom does yoga and baby lays there. Now I go to spin in the evenings for an hours when my husband gets home. I have a very good 3 month old that is generally content with just laying on a play mat or blanket though, she will sometimes sleep during yoga.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get a carrier and go for walks together.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    At 2 months, I was not in any physical condition to workout. But, once I was, I started with walking with the stroller. I wish I'd tried a stroller strides class. It was summer with my first baby and way too hot to be outside with an infant, so I went to the mall early, before regular hours, and walked the mall with the stroller (and sometimes had a friend join me which had added bonus of talking to an adult).

As my kids got older, I've tried gyms with daycares, but a) I've seen some sketchy things at one of my local gyms (reports of kids 'escaping' the daycare area and no one noticing) and they aren't required to be licensed and b) they all required that my baby not CRY - or else they would come get me out of class or whatever and that would end my workout. Neither of those things would work for me. I tried a mom gym, where the play room is in the exercise room, but my kid would still scream because she wanted to be right next to me.

SO.....I dusted off my old Firm and Insanity and Yoga and so forth DVDs, got the dumbbells out of the closet, dusted off the treadmill. I get up early, which I couldn't do until the baby was sleeping better through the night, and work out before babies wake up. If they wake up that early, Husband knows he has to deal with them till I'm done.

I also try to do things like, sun salutations or some yoga poses on the floor where they're playing. Just to get in some stretching and movement. And, I still try to get in at least one short daily walk with the kids and the stroller.

But, yeah, starting with walking is great for both of you. Babies sometimes need a change of scene and fresh air, too. Plus, you still have everything loose and weird from pregnancy and birth, so gentle walking to start is great.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    While on maternity leave, I would sneak my strength workouts in at the gym after the middle of the night feeding (my gym is open 24 hours). That seemed to work easiest for me at the time. Otherwise, we met friends and family out for walks during the day. It takes plenty of time, so definitely be patient!