Exercise buzz/no buzz

Options
Someone may have asked this before but do any of you find that the "buzz"/"pumped" feeling you are supposed to get after exercise is missing, or that exercise makes you feel low? I get a low mood after the gym or cycling, where I thought I was supposed to feel energised and good.
I typically exercise in the morning at the gym. I also do session of BJJ in the evenings several times a week. I initially got a buzz from BJJ, and still enjoy it, but I'm not getting as much of a buzz from it now. Is this just a sign of boredom? Or is it the same for others?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,236 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of exercise and rarely get the endorphin high. It has to be something pretty intense to trigger it.

I cycled a century (100 miles) on Saturday ... and no endorphin high. But I took an intense spin class on Monday and got a small surge of endorphins.

I suspect it has something to do with fitness and what we get used to doing. I still enjoy cycling long distances ... I'm not bored. They just aren't intense enough to trigger endorphins.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I don't always get a "buzz", but I do find it increases my overall energy levels. If exercise is making you feel low or less energetic, you may be dehydrated, underfed or overtraining. Of course their can be other reasons, but these are fairly typical
  • emlouda11
    emlouda11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Both comments are very useful. I'm glad it's not just me. Thanks again! :smile:
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am only five months in to my fitness journey and I only feel a slight endorphin high after a good HIIT session on the elliptical machine. I follow with lifting and most often than not my muscles are exhausted and I'm hungry as all hell. I hope one day in the near future I begin to have the "buzzed after workout" feeling.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't really call it getting a buzz; if anything I feel like it is just a second wind, no buzz, or 'high' feeling; just feels like my body says, "Ok, you are serious about this; let's get moving more efficiently" this may be a buzz for some, but other it may just feel like you've suddenly become more efficient in your work (running I experience it more than when lifting)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,236 Member
    Options
    The "buzz" I feel is just feeling really happy and energised for about 15 minutes after a workout.