Dislike Exercise

Options
Kelseyreyne
Kelseyreyne Posts: 27 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I want to add more activity into my life! I am primarily sedentary. I started taking walks with a friend at work, but am looking to add a little more. I know a big part of it is going to be finding what works for me and just doing it. So I'm looking for suggestions! What are your ideas for some fun, easy (minimal to 0 equipment needed) exercise ideas for someone who dislikes working out? What got you moving when you first went from sedentary to... Less sedentary!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • Kelseyreyne
    Options
    C25k

I've been hearing a lot about this! What was your experience? Is there a particular resource I should look into?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k

I've been hearing a lot about this! What was your experience? Is there a particular resource I should look into?

I haven't done it, but running is 'fun' to me!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C25k

The resource is a c25k app. Many like the one from Zenlabs. You can browse this forum or do a search for C25k and you will find a zillion threads of people talking about their experiences. All good.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Dancing
    Walking
    Gardening
    Hiking
    Sailing
    Swimming
    Kayaking
  • _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always listen to podcast whenever I walk or run and that takes my mind off anything. :) there are lots of apps to download them and there are thousands to choose from. I really like Criminal, they're anywhere from 14 to 30 min long and each show has a new story/topic about something "criminal".
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you need hand holding: do a coached program like "Get in shape for women."

If you really hate gyms, then get out walking with friends, gardening, anything off the couch.

C25K is great, so long as your body is up for it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

I did it using the ZenLabs app and I've kept running (and kept writing about it here). To channel Forrest Gump: "The first thing to learn about running is that running is hard." I think you should be able to walk a flat 5K at a 15 min/mile pace before you start running.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to hate barbell exercises, as I got better at them, I began to love them. Just keep trying things until you find something that sticks.
  • iBMikey
    iBMikey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hiking is my utmost go to. My wife actually hates how much I love hiking. She calls it exercise, I call it an enjoyment. I despise stationary exercising (elliptical, dreadmill, etc.) but when I'm walking outdoors, I can stop when I want. I can explore different areas and I can be with myself. I just completed a small hike last week (2.8 miles round trip) in an evening after work and although the trail was tough, I can't wait to get back. For hiking, you don't need much. A small backpack for some water, snacks, maybe a change of socks just in case you come across a stream you need to cross and thats it.

Second best for me does require equipment but it's very cheap and that's resistance bands. Don't know why but I love using them. I can't stand the price of free weights and there is vary hardness with resistance bands. We just bought two from 5 Below (Medium, Hard) for $11.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Keep trying new things. I started with Leslie Sansone walking videos. I'm a klutz - so DVDs with choreography just made me feel like a dunce. Now I use a rebounder (mini-trampoline) so it's more like jogging.

Whether it's pole dancing, roller blading, hula hooping, pilates, yoga, zumba, step aerobics, Wii, XBox......just keep trying new things. As you do this you will become more fit. You will like the feeling of being fit and want to continue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I really like riding my bike...like a lot. I also like hiking, going to the rock climbing gym, swimming, etc. I lift as well...don't love it, but don't hate it but I think it's pretty important to do some kind of resistance training.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    C25K is an outstanding beginner program. I started out my kids on a similar program.

I don't know if anyone likes exercise when they start out. Similar to studying - I know few people who like hitting the books, but it's a necessary exercise to master the material. People do enjoy the end result. I hate running, but I sure love the results that come from running.
  • Kelseyreyne
    Options

I did it using the ZenLabs app and I've kept running (and kept writing about it here). To channel Forrest Gump: "The first thing to learn about running is that running is hard." I think you should be able to walk a flat 5K at a 15 min/mile pace before you start running.

I'm still working on walking a mile in 15 minutes!! Maybe this is something to look at later on down my fitness journey.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    C25K is a fantastic approach to running, but it's not going to magically make running "fun" or anything that ambitious.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This program called Cize is pretty fun. Each workout basically teaches you a pop or hip hop dance routine and once your're done you will be drenched in sweat. It's fun but its pretty intense.
  • Kelseyreyne
    Options
    This program called Cize is pretty fun. Each workout basically teaches you a pop or hip hop dance routine and once your're done you will be drenched in sweat. It's fun but its pretty intense.

Oof. I tried Cize. Definitely not my jam. Thank you for the suggestion though!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I looooove dancing, used to do it professionally, also teaching too. It's a great exercise, it's fun, feminine and helps to lose weight and tone muscles. Most women in my class were losing weight but those who had portion control lost the most. One lady lost 40 kilos (80 pounds?) but she did follow a diet too.

I also enjoy walking and hiking. We went backpacking around Spain with my friends for a week, walked about 50 kilometers a day (30 miles?) and I actually lost half a kilo each day (1 pound). It was fun, very picturesque walk and just a great experience. And you know each evening we had Spanish wine and meat, and cheese, and bread and other tapas, we were eating a lot!