Milk alternatives for children

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fortified soy milk is lovely. Calcium isn't great but better than most plant milks.

Sorry to hear your little one has allergies. My son is allergic to peanuts so I understand the head ache.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Are you looking for just an alternative to cow milk or a plant-based milk?

My youngest sister was very sensitive to cow milk when she was growing up, but she tolerated goat milk very well. I understand that is the case for some people, although I don't know the reasons behind it. I thought it tasted a bit "gamy," but she liked it.

If you're looking for a plant-based milk, I would choose one that has a higher natural fat content because children need plenty of fat. Soy milk and coconut milk would be good places to start. I find the taste of soy sometimes overwhelming when I drink it by itself, but a child raised on it might not mind it. Coconut milk tastes delicious to me. My overall favorite plant-based milk is cashew milk -- it's very creamy and has a taste I find quite pleasant. I think the fat content is higher than almond, but I'm not sure.

It's the milk protein she is allergic to so not sure if other animal mills will be okay. I've tried silk soy milk before and didn't think it was too bad.

MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Why do you want a milk substitute?

Daughter was just diagnosed with a milk protein allergy.

Most kids with milk protein allergies outgrow this with time, so it will take some experimenting to figure it out. 2 of my kids were intolerant, one got over it around 2, the other around 4, my husband was intolerant until his teens.
    Soy has proteins similar to cow milk, so it is very probable soy milk will also not be well tolerated.
    Goat milk has different proteins, so you might want to give this a try.
    Also milk protein breaks down in the process of making cheese and yoghurt, so you can experiment with these as alternatives to milk.
    Almond milk tastes good and hazelnut milk, but the problem is they are not going to replace the nutrients in dairy when it comes to kids.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had an allergy to milk when I was a baby and as an alternate my mom gave me Rice Milk. Be warned, all my teeth fell out by age 4 from the sugar. This was also before all the alternates now like soy, almond, etc. milks. You have plenty of options, you just have to look in the milk aisle. But other than my top 4 baby teeth falling out by age 4, I never suffered from drinking Rice Milk in the long term.
  • zaniazong
    zaniazong Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My son was allergic to cow's milk and had to be on a special formula (Nutramigen - agghhh I still shriek when I remember the smell of it) when he was small but he grew out of it by the time he was 1. Somehow he was able to eat certain yoghurts and in reasonable quantities at that so he wasn't deprived of the whole dairy experience.
    I'm not a fan of fake-milks like nut/rice/soy ones due to them being heavily processed. I'd rather avoid giving a child milk to drink than go for the fakes, but whatever floats your boat. We don't need to drink milk, cheeses, yoghurts or other dairy products are enough to supply us with enough calcium
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally like vanilla soy milk. it's high in protein, tastes great, has a good consistency, and can be used in nearly all the same recipes normal milk can with similar results.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Taste wise, Silk vanilla almond milk is my favorite. (FYI, oatmeal cooked in vanilla almond milk is super delish)
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My daughter had a cow's milk protein allergy when she was an infant. She was not given a blood test. I was breastfeeding. When I had cow's milk, she projectile vomited. When I didn't, no vomiting. So, I avoided all cow's milk protein--dairy, cassein, whey, etc. It didn't matter if it was baked-in. I could not eat it.

Everything I read said they are supposed to outgrow it around 6 months. When my daughter flew past 6 months & still was reacting, I started to get nervous & pondered whether this was a permanent thing.

So, there are no "good" substitutes. They don't equal fat or calcium by any means. As far as taste, almond milk is delicious! I drank that as my substitute. I particularly liked vanilla. But, it is a highly processed food. I think only one or two almonds are in a container with a lot of water & some chemicals.

There are a lot of good desserts with soy as the base. You need to be careful with soy. When it is the foundation of a diet, it can wreck havoc on your gut. If she's not gonna be a true vegan, she might be safe. But for true vegans, soy is a drink, main course, side dish. It's hard on the gut.

Baby Center has a Dairy-Free discussion group. I found it helpful while I was going through this.

fyi...my daughter outgrew her cow's milk protein allergy around 15 months. But, she didn't like the taste! I was persistent. She enjoys it now (8 yrs).
  • jwilk241
    jwilk241 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'd just stick with water and make sure she's getting the nutrients from foods. Leafy greens are great for calcium; beans, avocados, and nuts are great for fats, chicken, fish, nuts, and beans for protein; good old fashioned sunlight for Vitamin D. Eggs yolks and fatty fish are also great for Vitamin D. It takes a little more effort to get them all the things they need but it's not impossible. Personally I won't be giving my kids milk because they have cow proteins and naturally occurring hormones that aren't meant for humans so I've done a good amount of research on the topic.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My daughter was allergic to milk, nuts, and coconut at 4 months. She just didn't drink regular milk or substitutes. I bfed her for 14 months; her dairy and coconut allergy cleared by that age.

The pediatrician did want her to take a liquid vitamin with iron and vitamin d.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Almond "milk." Avoid soy anything, it's junk at best, cancer causing at worst.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »

:unamused:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Please.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Just so people don't keep repeating it-we have already seen and discussed it with pediatrician as well as pediatric allergist. Was looking for brand recommendations.

They didn't suggest anything themselves?

Seriously? Even if they did, does that sudddenly mean I can't ask other people for suggestions?

I'm not sure why you're getting upset. If you're asking, it makes it look like the doctor didn't suggest something, which would be odd. My doctor gave me a whole list of different things to try. I didn't ask anyone what they liked, I just let my daughter try them all and see what SHE LIKED.

And to answer your snarky response to my first comment, YES, I did read and your full explanation that you went to see a doctor already wasn't there.

You're very rude. I'm sorry if you're fishing for comments and people aren't giving you exactly what you were looking for. Common sense would tell you that if you've already been to a doctor and they made recommendations as to what to try, TRY THEM and see what your kid likes, not what everyone else likes. Geez!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jwilk241 wrote: »
    I'd just stick with water and make sure she's getting the nutrients from foods. Leafy greens are great for calcium; beans, avocados, and nuts are great for fats, chicken, fish, nuts, and beans for protein; good old fashioned sunlight for Vitamin D. Eggs yolks and fatty fish are also great for Vitamin D. It takes a little more effort to get them all the things they need but it's not impossible. Personally I won't be giving my kids milk because they have cow proteins and naturally occurring hormones that aren't meant for humans so I've done a good amount of research on the topic.

Sorry but just no.... milk is not harmful (unless there is an allergy or intolerance). Lots of fake science out there that unfortunately people don't know how to tune out.

*head desk* no
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    Just so people don't keep repeating it-we have already seen and discussed it with pediatrician as well as pediatric allergist. Was looking for brand recommendations.

They didn't suggest anything themselves?

Seriously? Even if they did, does that sudddenly mean I can't ask other people for suggestions?

I'm not sure why you're getting upset. If you're asking, it makes it look like the doctor didn't suggest something, which would be odd. My doctor gave me a whole list of different things to try. I didn't ask anyone what they liked, I just let my daughter try them all and see what SHE LIKED.

And to answer your snarky response to my first comment, YES, I did read and your full explanation that you went to see a doctor already wasn't there.

You're very rude. I'm sorry if you're fishing for comments and people aren't giving you exactly what you were looking for. Common sense would tell you that if you've already been to a doctor and they made recommendations as to what to try, TRY THEM and see what your kid likes, not what everyone else likes. Geez!

Not upset at all, and anyone who knows me knows I am never intentionally rude. This response though is rude. Basically saying I have no common sense. But I'm an adult and not going to argue with someone who is insulting me. You could have easily moved on if you don't like what I say.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

My youngest sister was very sensitive to cow milk when she was growing up, but she tolerated goat milk very well. I understand that is the case for some people, although I don't know the reasons behind it. I thought it tasted a bit "gamy," but she liked it.

If you're looking for a plant-based milk, I would choose one that has a higher natural fat content because children need plenty of fat. Soy milk and coconut milk would be good places to start. I find the taste of soy sometimes overwhelming when I drink it by itself, but a child raised on it might not mind it. Coconut milk tastes delicious to me. My overall favorite plant-based milk is cashew milk -- it's very creamy and has a taste I find quite pleasant. I think the fat content is higher than almond, but I'm not sure.

off topic a bit but tell wic that children need plenty of fat,kids 2 and older are only allowed low fat 1% or fat free now. (my sister gets wic for my nephew,here they get it until they are 5).I think its stupid
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

off topic a bit but tell wic that children need plenty of fat,kids 2 and older are only allowed low fat 1% or fat free now. (my sister gets wic for my nephew,here they get it until they are 5).I think its stupid

That's frustrating. I thought it was generally very accepted that children need plenty of fat due to the role it plays in brain development. :(
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

That's frustrating. I thought it was generally very accepted that children need plenty of fat due to the role it plays in brain development. :(

Funny-WIC here says you can only buy whole milk.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Funny-WIC here says you can only buy whole milk.

a lot of states are making the change. but its that way for kids 2 and over. younger kids its probably still whole milk.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

special cases can get 2% if they are 2 and over,but I agree its aggravating,when she told me I was like "are you kidding me? kids need fat in their diets"