carbs

Options
spll50
spll50 Posts: 21 Member
How many carbs should i eat.Looking to tweak diet plan a bit,carb intake seems to be set high by MFP 238 grams,where as other online info says between 167 and 198 gs any ideas as not losing much weight.
Thanks

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Macros don't matter for weight loss.

How much are you losing?
  • spll50
    spll50 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So far about 1lb in 2 weeks
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    However many you want, while making sure you still get enough fat/protein/micros
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I do well on about one third of calories from carbs, one third from fat and one third from protein.

To work out the grammes:
    - divide your calorie goal by 3, and call this x
    - divide x by 9 to get your fat grammes
    - divide x by 4 to get your carb grammes
    - divide x by 4 to get your protein grammes
    - pay for MFP premium to set your macro goals by gramme :D

You can trade as needed - the most common is reducing protein a bit and putting carbs up.

It kind of depends on your goals and your exercise though, as well as personal preference. If you want to build lean muscle, you need decent amounts of protein. If you just want to lose weight, it doesn't matter so much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    spll50 wrote: »
    How many carbs should i eat.Looking to tweak diet plan a bit,carb intake seems to be set high by MFP 238 grams,where as other online info says between 167 and 198 gs any ideas as not losing much weight.
    Thanks

Macros aren't going to make much of a difference in losses (if you are hitting calories) for most. They mainly relate to nutrition and satiety. MFP's carb goal is 50%, which means you are at about 1900 calories and should be getting a protein goal of around 95 g (I'm thinking it's 20%) and fat of about 63 g. Many other calculators are a bit bro sciency about protein and will base the goal on something like .8-1 of current body weight, which is more than necessary than most needing to lose will need or want, but I do think the weight-based approach is better than the MFP one. .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight (unless you know your LBM, and then 1 g per lb of LBM) is a good place to start with protein.

With protein set, how many carbs vs. how much fat is really personal preference and many let them vary by day.

Basically you want to find what works for you to easily hit the calories, calories will determine losses.

If you just started, lots of things can play into loss, fluctuations due to water weight mostly, which is focusing on one or two weeks doesn't say much.
  • victorias36
    victorias36 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My doctor had me set my carbs at 30%, fats 30% and protein at 40%. Everyone is different. I feel I need the carbs because I work physically hard at my job and I come home to workout. They satisfy my hunger and I can stay in my calorie goals with deficit. I have tried low carbs/more protein-high fat but I stayed hungry all the time. I think everyone needs to do what is best for them and their body. I want something I can maintain after I get to my goal and I know I can this way.