Bunion surgery?

Options
1chuy
1chuy Posts: 96 Member
Going to be off from the gym for a while just had bunion surgery :( anybody ever had bunion surgery?

Replies

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No but I've considered it. My bunions are awful and I get a lot of pain when standing for too long or wearing certain shoes. Did you seek out surgery or was it recommended?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Yes, was one of the best things I ever did.

once I was rehabbed, the reduced pain allowed me to run further and faster YMMV.

I had both feet done with a year recovery between. It was supposed to be 8 months, but there was a hurricane.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've had both feet done as two different surgeries (and at a very young age, meaning I'll probably need the surgery repeated later on too). The surgery changed my life! The 6 week down time sucks (I was stuck inside for the entire 6 weeks after the first operation as it was super icy outside) but I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to. I can now do stuff when I get home from work, as opposed to being in agony and only able to sit down. For a few years afterwards I often got stiff painful big toe joints if my feet got cold and I can only wear small heels but those downsides are 110% worth it! Don't stress about trying to get to the gym - your feet take the most pounding out of your entire body so don't even think about trying to do anything that will put weight on your joint for the entire time the doctor says. The better you follow their instructions, the longer your new feet will last!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I had a bunionectomy on the outside of my foot (tailor's bunion). I used a recumbant bike until I was cleared to do high impact exercises. The dr was fine with the bike. Don't push it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    My wife did. She suffered when she stood too long or spent too much time on her feet. No problem now.
  • 1chuy
    Options
    jesspen91 yes I looked in to it myself it was bothering me so looked it up and got it done I'm recovering now not to bad at least I can't feel the pain I had before
  • 1chuy
    Options
    Thanks for your comments friends! I'm sure it's worth it!
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've had it done. One of the best things I ever did. Would like to do my other foot but it doesn't hurt at this point. The other one hurt quite a bit before. Healed nicely and looks great! Go for it!
  • 1chuy
    Options
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @1chuy wrote: »
    Going to be off from the gym for a while just had bunion surgery :( anybody ever had bunion surgery?

How high are the heels that you're wearing?
  • 1chuy
    Options
    @/SomebodyWakeUpHIcks/profile/SomebodyWakeUpHIcks lol I don't wear any high heels