Gastric balloon

I am new here and I am just getting to know this site. I was wondering if anyone recently has had the balloon procedure and what it was like during the 1st 6 months. How did you feel? Did it help you? I would really like to find a support group of people who are going through this. I am having my procedure done in less than a week. I would like to lose 60lbs.

Replies

• IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Good luck! I've been curious about this procedure. I looked into it once and there were so many mixed reviews I didn't know what was what, plus it is still a relatively new device in the states. I hope everything goes well!
  • umustlovecats2
    umustlovecats2 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you! I'm hoping for the best! :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Awesome @babyrover
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    What a great summary @babyrover - thank you for sharing and a big congratulations on your loss. Let us know how the months following removal go!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    babyrover wrote: »
    I have been participating in the Spatz3 Gastric Balloon study. The balloon was placed on Sept 30 2016 and will be removed Friday, May 12, 2017. The Spatz3 is adjustable and can remain in for up to 12 months, which is why it is in clinical trials for FDA approval. The process is not for the faint of heart but has done what it said it was capable of doing. SW: 249.6 CW: 170.8 for a total of 78.8 lbs in 32 weeks. I went from a size 18/20 jean to a 9/10 jean. Side effects: I have not had a 24 hour period in the last 32 weeks that I did not feel "punky" at some point. There is an onset of nausea throughout the day that comes and goes without warning. When you eat you get that "just finished a HUGE Thanksgiving dinner (with dessert)" feeling that hangs on for just a little too long. You should never take anything by mouth up to 3 hrs before going to bed (this includes water) as it will trigger the worse acid reflux you can possibly imagine. Benefits: I have relearned the definition of a single serving size. I have also kicked my caffeine and sugar habit. I had knee replacements done in 2011, the extra weight I was carrying was hard on the new joints, that is now a thing of the past. I participate in 4 or 5 Zumba classes a week. Less weight does equal more energy (for me)

This has been a long tough journey but I am glad I took it as my life, health and future outlook is the better for it. I am scheduled to take after pictures next week the night before removal and I will then share the (horrible, ugly, no good) before and after shots.

Super interesting. May I ask what the procedure is like? I assume they insert the deflated balloon into your stomach via a tube through the mouth, then fill it up with saline. Were you fully sedated or partially awake?
  • babyrover
    babyrover Posts: 51 Member
    You are fully sedated. It is placed via endoscope, the balloon is wrapped in a sleeve inserted the sleeve is removed. then they fill the balloon with the specified cc's for your height. I think this is too arbitrary. that means 5'4" or less received 300 cc's and 5'5" or more received 450 cc's. that means at 5'7" I receive the same amount of saline as someone 6'4". I had problems with blockage and they reduced by 150 cc's. Then I plateaued so they increased by 100 cc's then I had blockage issues again and they reduced by 50 cc's. That is the beauty of the SPatz adjustable. If I had any of the others they would have had to remove and it would be over...the ability to adjust allowed them to make the small adjustments and keep me on track with my weight loss.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    So, just out of curiosity, what kind of maintenance plan do they give you once they remove it? Or is it basically you are on your own?
  • NicoleKhb
    NicoleKhb Posts: 29 Member
    I would personally NOT recommend it....had it done 5yrs ago and lost 1and a half stone, but once it's taken out, you have to be really tough... the first 3wks constantly feeling sick and have to eat and drink really really slow....after around 3mnths you can eat ok but still slow and losing weight slows....a quick fix like crash diet but not a long term fix.....i did the ken diet this year and lost a stone in 10 days and still continue losing with mixing 5:2 & 16:8....if you are determined and can be tough after then i would say good luck, but if you want to change habits and learn build your stamina then i would say go for the ken diet as you'd get better results!
  • JNo2015
    JNo2015 Posts: 1 Member
    @babyrover Thank you very much for sharing! I'm hoping to get mine in the next month :smile: