Question about water.

Options
Does drinking water count as drinking water if I put Mio in it? I hope so because I have already drank 32 ounces. :-)

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Changing the flavor of water doesn't change the fact that it's still water :)
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like mine with alot of scotish (flavor is flavor )
  • 73fitbit
    73fitbit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to log only "pure" water as water intake and everything else is logged under food coz it tends to also hold some calories. In my opinion, it's too easy to add some syrup to water and still log it as water while you'd be taking in quite a lot of sugar too.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    73fitbit wrote: »
    I tend to log only "pure" water as water intake and everything else is logged under food coz it tends to also hold some calories. In my opinion, it's too easy to add some syrup to water and still log it as water while you'd be taking in quite a lot of sugar too.

Nah, OP mentioned "Mio", which you should only count if it has calories. IIRC it doesn't.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    73fitbit wrote: »

Adding anything to water doesn't negate the properties of the water. By all means log the flavorings if they have calories, but you're still drinking water/hydrating yourself.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I still count it as water if I use the crystal light packets. I don't count teas, soda, juice, etc.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I drink my water with a Hawaiian Punch powder packet in each 20 oz bottle. I record the water and the packet because each one has 5 calories.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    <balderdash>Nope. You must drink either 64 ounces, or as many ounces as half your weight in pounds (whichever is greater), of plain water. Plus an additional 8-oz. glass of water to counteract each cup of coffee, tea, juice, cola, diet soda, etc., since they count negatively against the base water requirement. Plus a glass of water for each 15 minutes you work out. :/ </balderdash>

The Mio is fine, if that's what you like. But the whole thing of forcing down water all day long has no scientific backing. Half a gallon is a rough estimate of how much fluid your body needs a day, depending on size and activity level; but that counts the water content in the food you eat, and in everything you drink.

Drink when you're thirsty. Drink a little extra during a long or intense workout. Skip fruit juice and sugar-sweetened beverages, or use them only rarely. Listen to your body. B)

• JessieMichelle34
    JessieMichelle34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like my water coffee flavoured...

If you mean caffeinated coffee it doesn't count as water. I've learned, much to my dismay, that caffeine dehydrates and we are supposed to drink 2 cups of water per each cup of caffeinated beverage. Sigh...

Now if there is something like Mio that is coffee flavored with no caffeine, hook me up! Lol.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If you mean caffeinated coffee it doesn't count as water. I've learned, much to my dismay, that caffeine dehydrates and we are supposed to drink 2 cups of water per each cup of caffeinated beverage. Sigh...

Now if there is something like Mio that is coffee flavored with no caffeine, hook me up! Lol.

Well, luckily for you, this isn't correct. I mean, yea, caffeine is a bit dehydrating, but you don't need to offset coffee or drink plain water if you don't want to. Not sure where that came from.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Not sure where this info came from..

Drinking coffee counts towards your water count, so does tea, adding crystal light to your water, propel to your water, etc.. I use the term "eat your water" too, fruits and veggies counts toward your water count as well. So need to OD on drinking pure water, enjoy your beverages of choice it all counts, just make sure to log the ones with calories if you choose to drink your calories..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Have a read here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

Coffee, tea, water, soda, juice, milk, etc. ALL count toward your hydration needs. Whether you consider it so or not, your body does. You also get water from many of the foods you eat.

Caffeine does not dehydrate you to the extent that it negates the liquid you drank it in. There are clinical studies linked/cited in the above thread to substantiate this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated...that can come from a variety of sources...keeping hydrated is the point.