Exercise for a full time working single parent

Options
I am a full time working single parent and I am struggling to (a) find time to exercise; (b) find something that both me and my 8yr old son could do.
If I'm not at work (9-5), I have my son to look after. Once he's in bed at 8.30pm, I have no motivation to do fitness DVD's at home.
Any ideas what I might do?
Thank you

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wake up before him and do your fitness DVD's or whatever then?
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Also, assuming you both have functioning legs you can always go for walks together
  • Aderlay
    Aderlay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Single mother, work two jobs...I make it to the gym 4-5 days a week. I go in the early morning, I go after one job before the other, I even go after BOTH jobs. Can't do that? Go to the park, take a hike, climb rocks, etc...an 8-year old healthy boy needs that, just as much as you. You can do this if you want, honest.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Your weekends can be used for exercising with your son (park for football, walking, etc.), and then you could always use your lunchbreak to have a walk or do some yoga in a quiet office to Youtube?

I would invest in a pedometer or step tracker (or just use your phone!) to keep an eye on your steps, encourage you to use the stairs etc.

Sometimes you can find that if you force yourself to work out after work (even if you walk in the door absolutely knackered), you get a second wind. I get that with my exercise classes - the social element/atmosphere/exercise combination gets the endorphins going!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sign him up for martial arts, soccer, whatever he's into. When he goes to practice, you can workout.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Play sports with your son! Throw a ball, go for a hike, do an exercise dvd together, have a DDR competition. He's at a pretty easy age where he's old enough to do any activity with you, or to stay home alone for 30 minutes while you go for a walk/run.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It might be difficult to do gym workouts, unless you have somewhere for him to go while you go to the gym. You can do workout videos right after work and he's at a good age where you don't have to supervise him. Or he can stay home or while you go for a run or whatever you want to do. On the weekends you can go do something active with him, go on a hike or play a sport with him or something.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Play sports with your son! Throw a ball, go for a hike, do an exercise dvd together, have a DDR competition. He's at a pretty easy age where he's old enough to do any activity with you, or to stay home alone for 30 minutes while you go for a walk/run.

I second this, one of my daughters is 8 years old and this is what we do....even my younger 2 are into these activities.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 7 and he runs 3 miles with me every Sunday morning.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    When I had my first son I took him to the YMCA where they had babysitting, then I worked out. Now he's 7 and still enjoys going or doing karate, then I workout.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    This was me for many years. I did a combination of the following: a) joined a gym near my office and went at lunch; b) ran on the treadmill after bedtime; c) ran laps around the park (there's a playground in the middle, so she could play while I ran and she could always see me); and (d) ran in the neighborhood while she rode her bike or her scooter.

Plus we walked the dog together most evenings.

Plus we CHASED the dog together many evenings.

I kind of miss those days, now. She's all big and teenagery. *sigh*
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My kiddo is 8. We started just by going for a long walk in the park on Sunday's. We started small 1/2 mile at a time. Now we do 3 miles 2x per week. I also got a gym membership (discounted thru insurance) and they have a kids club and I go 4 times per week. I also now workout during my lunch.
    I even go for a walk/run before he even wakes up. I just make sure to always be able to see the house.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Before I had time for the gym I invested in the Insanity Max30 program. It's intense and only 30min a day at home with a modifier track if needed. I didn't buy any of the other beachbody products - just the workout.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...you don't have to wait until he is in bed to workout. I think it's good for kids to see their parents being active. I think including him is even better. Why not teach him to have an active lifestyle now. It is much easier to maintain if that is what you grew up with. You will be doing the best thing possible for the both of you!!!!