Whey protein

Hi, i am just about to buy my first whey protein powder and just want to find out which is best or efficient. I am torn between whey 100% gold standard by maximuscle or myprotein whey protein isolate any help would be great thanks

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Best or efficient for what? What are your reasons for wanting to use protein powder/shakes?
  • wacker1994
    wacker1994 Posts: 18 Member
    Im trying to gain a healthy weight and put on lean muscle. I am eating everything ideal for gaining the weight but the process is taking to long.. They are just some of the reasons.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    I swear by Protein Works Diet Whey Advanced, though I've had the 100% Whey Advanced too before. Great taste, mixes well and has definitely helped me gain lean muscle.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Met Rx whey get it online you may want a weight gainer though if u are trying to add weight
  • ejsilvi
    Chapaion 900 weight gainer is good
  • ejsilvi
    As I stated befor you can also make your own home made shakes too 2 cups of milk, powered milk 1 cup , peanut butter 2 table spoons, your favorite ice cream, honey, oatmeal put in blender with ice drink
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I'm fan of MyProtein Impact Whey. There are sample boxes with loads of flavours to test them out, but in general I'm a fan of the "natural" ones. I have natural vanilla and natural chocolate at the moment.

I struggle to meet my protein goal through normal food due to the sheer volume required (I target 135g a day, set by my nutrition-qualified trainer), so like to supplement with shakes. However, I do make sure that my meals are generally well balanced, and my diet isn't too junky.

It might be worth going for a macros approach (protein/carbs/fats) to make sure that your weight gain is the right kind of weight, and you're not just eating a ton of mars bars! Also, if you're going for muscle gain that only comes from using your muscles, in conjunction with a good diet, so it might be time to get lifting if you're not already...
    Also worth a couple of sessions with a PT to sort out macros and technique?

I just doubled my commute to work by moving in my with boyfriend, so breakfast is now often a shake on the train as it's easy to take with me and stops me buying croissants at the station. Current favourite is chocolate whey, almond milk, a banana, peanut butter and frozen berries. I'm going for body fat reduction rather than weight gain, so a gainer might use normal (whole?) milk and more peanut butter than I do, but shakes are endlessly adaptable. Other top tip: a good blender!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Protein powder can be useful to up the daily protein while adding minimal extra calories, but won't work miracles. And quick, easy to consume.
    I add some to my yogurt when doing overnight oats. And often have a glass (with water) in the short time between workout and dancing (can almost drink at the same time I change into my dance shoes).

I currently have Muscletech Nitrotech casein gold in vanilla right now (minimal calories/protein, decent but not excellent taste reviews) for adding to yogurt parfait/overnight oats; and Jym Pro Chocolate Cookie Crunch (higher calories/protein but not exceedingly high, excellent taste reviews) for straight drinking with water.
  • ritzvin
    (BCBS Wellness card covers bodybuilding.com, so it is cheaper for me to buy the lower protein non-Greek yogurt and add protein powder that I got for free).
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    The Gold Standard is a blend whereas I assume the Myprotein is pure isolate and if that's the case go with the isolate every time.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Protein powder is not a great choice for trying to gain weight. Protein is a poor energy source, and it is very satiating (makes you feel full). A caloric surplus diet that includes a good amount of peanut butter, beans, eggs, milk, whole grains, ice cream and other moderate protein sources should provide all the protein you need. If for some reason you are still not hitting 0.8 g of protein per lb of bodyweight, then at that point consider adding some more protein dense foods or a powder to your diet.

If you are just having trouble hitting caloric surplus, then read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • ritzvin
    ^ What he said. Personally- I value protein powder because it makes it easier to hit recommended protein while eating in a deficit. Easier (& tastier) to get it in the diet on a surplus of calories.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    I prefer vegan protein versus anything with whey. Most people use the whey but there are other sources. Look at grams of protein when you compare.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    wacker1994 wrote: »
    Hi, i am just about to buy my first whey protein powder and just want to find out which is best or efficient. I am torn between whey 100% gold standard by maximuscle or myprotein whey protein isolate any help would be great thanks

I have tried a lot of them and prefer the Muscle Tech products mainly for the taste.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Look'em up on Labdoor. It'll give you an idea of quality of ingredients vs. price. I'm about to by some Impact Whey from MyProtein (Isolate is just more pure) and slightly more $. What Richln said, protein isn't a great source for trying to gain weight. Get just enough protein and use carbs for muscle gain.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Sprout's Whey protein is high quality, tastes good and is often on sale :)