Anyone else dress completely different when overweight vs not overweight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any change. I'm a "comfort first" kind of gal. My closet has always been (and probably will always be) stuffed with all kinds of jeans, tshirts, hoodies and sweatpants. I also suspect my mom will always be rolling her eyes every time I whine about not having any decent shoes then end up with yet another pair of sports shoes.

Haha I can totally relate!

I own one dress which is one of those flowy maxi-dresses, no skirts and no high heels at all, not a one pair.

In summer, i live in shorts/tank tops and thongs (flip flops). In winter it's trackie pants, leggings and flannel shirts or tunics, shoes are boots, sneakers, ugg boots or slippers! I do own a couple pairs of jeans, but i prefer warm snuggly clothes.

Gawd, after reading that back i sound like a feral :tongue:

Your wardrobe sounds extremely similar to mine. I used to have a dress that I wore maybe twice (and yes it was the maxi flowy kind) but I donated it when I lost weight and did not replace it. I also don't like revealing or fitted clothes because I don't like the discomfort of having to constantly adjust them. Some cleavage is nice, but in my case it can turn into too much cleavage because I'm not careful with my movements, especially since I have exceptionally large breasts. I tried once at my sister's request (who is constantly trying to dress me and keeps getting frustrated with me), I didn't even leave the house. It was a girls night at our house and I was so obsessed with the cleavage moving like a stiff board, it's not even funny. I have never worn heels in my life. If my shoes aren't comfortable I'm not walking in them.

Sometimes I look at websites with well-dressed women and in my mind plan to be fashionista. I tell myself "that's it, I'm going to start dressing like I care!", but that day never comes. I lose interest after a few minutes and get distracted by a "OMG I LOVE THIS T-SHIRT" kind of stuff and end up ordering that.

:heart:

I was smiling and nodding my head in agreement throughout your whole post.

My mum and sister give me that sideways "you cray cray" look whenever they start talking about fashion and clothes shopping and i just have zero interest in any of it!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Leggings and T-shirts. My legs have got definition and I proudly show them off. Even in shorts, I don't even cellulite (except where thigh meets my hips). I have an H-shape or apple shape.

My Curvy Kate bra always shows to advantage.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Yup! Before I lost weight I would never wear some of the things that I'm wearing now. I bought a few a-line skirts, a pinafore and a pair of skorts, which is something thing that I would have never worn before. Before that I mainly stuck to skater skirts but sometimes found that they made me look bigger and I would always find a way to cover my arms, but now it doesn't bother me as much as before!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I still like baggy clothes but you wouldn't have caught me in a formfitting dress or shirt 4 years ago. Now I don't mind that much (I'm still too curvy for my tastes, but whatever).
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Some changes but not many. Still tend to dress casual/formal
    I wear more jeans with a simpel uni shirt now as I felt they did not suit me at all when I was bigger.
    My pencil/a-line skirt ratio has flipped over from 2/6 to 6/2
    I now wear flat shoes (ballerina's and sneakers) as it is comfortable now - when at higher weight I need a slight sturdy heel for balance
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    YaGigi wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Ima go with yes, I used to wear this type of stuff overly tight shirts (i thought i had a thin waist lol) and yoga pants. A sweater if i went out i could never figure out why my boobs seemed so inapropriate ( i was dellusional to my bad fashion lol)
    l0k14kf3g0m8.jpg
    Now i rock alot of dresses and leggings/ crop tops and actually use alot of dresses with leggings for tops :p Never wore anything different before. Shopping is fun now im happy my fashion changed
    w3pg49c1w7xl.jpg
    y3vja4ybnjjb.png
    ge67m3dprfix.png

Side note, I also like heels now. I used to feel so stupid in them and think they were gonna break. Happy side effect, Their now comfy on me XD

You have a gorgeous hourshape figure!

I'm similar and it's easier for uor bodyshape to dress.
    I basically wear the same clothes as before but smaller size. I'm Italian sizes 38-40 now but was 44-46 (in my profile picture I'm wearing 44 Medium). In US clothes I was about size 6, and now I'm not sure, haven't bought anything American lately.

Thankyou :3 but i find the shape makes it harder to dress by far lol

That's because you've never had to dress an apple shape. :smiley:

While the measurements used for the default sizes may not be quite as curvy as you are, they'll be a whole lot closer since they are supposed to match the more common pear and hourglass shapes. Trying to find pants that fit properly as an apple is a nightmare. If they fit at the waist, the butt is usually baggy. If the hips fit properly, we're going to have muffin top. I've found one or two stores that do a "straight cut" that will work - but then I'm at their mercy for actually bothering to carry stock (which, in my city, can be a real issue when there's only one store of each type). I suspect the fact that I need "petite" length doesn't help.

You should try pants in juniors sizes. Seriously, I had the same issue...but juniors cuts assume people are less "hippy" since people in that age group are usually built a little straighter. I still buy some of my pants and skirts in juniors...they fit perfectly. No more baggy material around the butt and hips! It is easy to find basics that work for adult women in juniors.

I may try that once I get to goal, but junior sizes are generally very small here so I don't expect I'd fit into any of them yet. Or, at least, they were last time I looked (which was admittedly about 25 years ago!)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Anyone else dress completely different when overweight vs not overweight?

Of course. I would think that most people would. I would never wear a bikini when I was fat. EVER. I abhor displaying muffin-top lumps and bulges so I would have to be very careful about how my clothes fit - long tops only. Now I am much more carefree as I am far happier in how my clothes fit and look on me.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    @MichaelRow , you look super sharp! Now I wanna get my hubs a seersucker blazer and a bow tie.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yep. I wear leggings now with snugg tank tops, No Way would I have worn that back in the day when I was 45 lbs heavier. Oh, and for that matter tank tops - I used to hate showing my arms, now I love them. Around the holidays when I'm eating more festive foods I tend to wear baggier shirts and sweaters, because mentally I know I'm splurging a lot around the holidays. :blush:
  • MichaelRow
    MichaelRow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @MichaelRow , you look super sharp! Now I wanna get my hubs a seersucker blazer and a bow tie.

Thank you! The blazer is Merona from Target, if you're interested in that one in particular.
  • blh202
    blh202 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Nah I basically follow the same "Jeans+Tank top+overshirt" formula I always followed. I have never been any good at clothes, somehow weight loss didn't imbue me with fashionable super powers...

58ytcpw8hbg8.jpg

Dang girl, how do you have such tiny hips now????