Frustrating

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I thought I had finally seen the light when it comes to weight loss but I'm just as frustrated as ever. I know these posts are up here every day and I know weight loss isn't linear, but god it can be frustrating.

I'm 38, 5'8 and 195lbs. The first month I was losing right on schedule and lost just over 6lbs. This month I have been gaining and losing the same pound for almost 3 weeks now and it's driving me mad. I log and weigh everything I eat and I'm only guessing or using 'generic/homemade' when eating out. I'm averaging about 100kcal more per day than what mfp suggests when looking at the weekly totals, mostly due to one or two meals eating out. So I expect my weight loss to a bit slower than what mfp suggests but I still expect there to be loss. I selected 0.8kg per week, which I seemed save with 23kg to lose.

Now I know in my head that I will lose sooner or later if I eat at a deficit. Mfp gives me 1230 and my BMR is 1682, TDEE 1977. I don't exercise much, generally just my steps in and will only eat half of those calories. So even if I average at 1330 or so that should give me about a pound a week, right?

I guess I'm just frustrated because I expected things to slow down as I get closer to my goal weight, but I'm still far off and definitely overweight, it just seems like it shouldn't be such a struggle so early on.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you eating exercise calories back?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open your diary?
  • me0231
    Options
    Done it's public. Let me know if anything jumps out at anyone
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MFP must be running some sort of update - I can't even get to your page now.

And you didn't say - are you eating back exercise calories?

Until we can delve into these things, look through this chart and see if anything stands out to you.

x2qu4vp5bk3u.jpg
  • me0231
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't exercise much as I said, it's really just the steps and I aim to eat about half of those
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your numbers are pretty similar to mine. MFP gives me 1200 to eat. My BMR is around 1307 and my TDEE is around 1900. I wear a Fitbit and on days I don't work out, I can usually burn 2000 a day. Doing the math, 2000 - 750 = 1250, I'm supposed to lose 1.5 lbs a week but I don't. I've been gaining and losing the same 2-3 lbs for the last several weeks. I started my weight loss journey on January 4th and have hit several plateaus along the way; March, April and now in May. Every time I wait it out, continue with my logging and the weight eventually drops. My suggestion is to tighten up your logging, over-guess if you eat out and try to be as active as you can during the day. Don't eat back your exercise calories unless you are famished and if you do, only eat a small percentage of it. Don't give up. Remember why you started this journey to begin with and it will keep you strong as you go.
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks monstar4kc for sharing your experience. That's really good to read actually. How long did your plateaus last? And how much have you lost in total if you don't mind me asking?
    I guess what I need to fix are my expectations and just believe in the process. It will work, it simply must if we truly eat less.