Foods to add

Out of curiosity, What foods did folks add to their diets when transitioning from weight loss to maintenance? I'm planning to add a lot more fruit (I'd been focused on berries and the occasional apple during weight loss), trail mix, and potatoes among other things. Me and my dietician both agree to add healthy carbs to my diet to support the increase in calories. What about you?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Just more of what I had already been eating.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    edited May 2017
    @sarahbums ya, currently I just try to make everything I eat fit my macros, but some things have been tougher than others you know? I don't eliminate things entirely, but I definitely have had to limit them. For example, I try to stay under 100g carbs daily, so if I bagel is 75g carbs, it's difficult to fit that in more than once in a while. So that's more where I'm coming from, I might add a bagels to my diet (for example. I probably won't, but just for the sake of conversation) when it'd been more limited before
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    probably an extra glass of wine (maybe 2) when I'm out dancing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I eat the same as when I was losing weight, but I tend to be eating starchy foods more often now. I also don't micromanage portions anymore, I will just eat a "reasonably sized" piece of meat/fish, I have increased my milk portions, and I have "extras" occasionally.
  • nichell88
    edited May 2017
    I should also add that I'm eating at a pretty large deficit now; larger than I "should" be at this point in the process but I don't find that I'm hungry so I haven't been eating more. I'll probably have to add ~300+ calories a day to net for maintenance
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »

This!
  • nichell88
    @troberts
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

This!

I definitely want to add more fruit, that's one thing I've been actually missing. Also, my daily food choices are difficult to simply increase, unless I eat two cups of yogurt in the morning, two sandwiches for lunch, or two chicken breasts for dinner. I could add more veggies with my dinner but I don't really measure those anyway. Or I could add more meat to my sandwiches, but I don't want that. My plan is to almost created an extended menu for myself by adding other things to my daily diet, which is pretty consistent right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't log, so when I need to drop my winter fluff I usually just knock off starches/grains at dinner and don't drink my usual couple of beers in the evening...when I go to maintenance I just add back the starches/grains at dinner and a couple of beers.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Nuts! I know they're good for you, but it was hard to fit them in my calories during a regular day.
  • philsimon1980
    philsimon1980 Posts: 17 Member
    For me it was larger quantities of oats, rice and potatoes. I love rice. Some pasta and bread when it worked out.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    I didn't really add anything back in because I never cut anything out. I just increased my portion sizes. I do have a soup that I usually add cheese to that I didn't add the cheese when I was eating at a deficit. But I still ate cheese when I was eating at a deficit, just not as much.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My weight loss was just a period of calorie restriction - I eat the same now I'm slim as I did when I was fat.
    The calorie restriction mainly came from the fun/discretionary calories like snacks or drinks eaten or drunk mostly for enjoyment rather than primarily for nutrition.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    I've mostly added back the extras I've missed like_honey,jam,or banana on my toast, mayo on sandwiches_an extra yogurt cup or granola bar_cookies with my coffee etc.It's been really nice :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I ate fruit during weight loss! If you're losing at a healthy down rate at the end of your loss, shifting to maintenance only requires 100-200 more cals per day. It's not hard to add with an extra snack, slightly larger portions, or an extra dessert during the week.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    More starchy veggies, higher calorie fruits, higher calorie ice cream, higher calorie cheese. Add more fat - the calories will add up pretty quickly!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I added in two snacks at about 400 cal total. usually some oatmeal with berries in the mid morning and a piece of Ezikiel toast with almond butter in the afternoon. Also a few things like sweet potatoes, 100 cal popcorn and frozen grapes.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    edited May 2017
    I've added milk or an extra protein at breakfast and snack. Added a healthy fat to breakfast. I'm just getting into maintenance and trying to figure out what foods to add myself. Oh and I'm trying an evening post workout snack if I'm hungry. My RD suggested two servings of starch or fruit for breakfast vs the one serving I've been having. I moved the starch to dinner so I could have two servings of rice
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Peanut butter mmmmmmmm
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Dark chocolate. Used to always be milk chocolate but I still want to make healthy food choices, even in maintainance. For the most part though it is just more of what I have been eating. I don't want to get into bad habits and add the weight back.