Looking for a low carb bread recipe

Options
varia2u
varia2u Posts: 39 Member
edited May 2017 in Recipes
... that actually taste good, doesn't require a gazillion eggs and doesn't look like a dirty sponge after baking. :)

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    A friend swears by this recipe:
    http://shinyhappyfood.com/2016/07/10-minute-grain-free-paleo-bread/

But if you take the carbs out, you have to make it out of something... so eggs.
  • varia2u
    Options
    Thanks @annacole94 . Will check it out.
  • sryan921
    sryan921 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it yet but am gonna finally go for it this weekend I think

http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a recipe, but la tortilla factory makes REALLY good low carb tortillas.

As for recipe, as someone posted, cloud bread,

Or if you like tortillas I read a recipe once, you can use coconut flour instead of regular flour when making tortillas, you just need to give the water a little time to soak in before rolling them out. Or you can follow one of the many recipes

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetic-recipes/general/7451-coconut-flour-tortillas

Basically you want to look towards "flax bread" and "baking with coconut flour" etc for low carb bread substitutes. Be warned that they will all be pretty high in calories due to the nature of fat.
  • varia2u
    Options
    @sryan921 Let me know how it tastes. I keep seeing those cloud bread recipes everywhere and I have to admit I'm curious. I may try it once but unless I inherit a chicken farm I don't see this as a long term bread replacement.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    great low carb muffin recipe: 4 scoops Vanilla UMP protein powder; 2Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice; 4 cups egg beaters; 1 cup oatmeal; 1/4 cup olive oil; 1/2 cup water. Bake in 350 oven, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins. I like to slice in half, toast, and eat with 1 teaspoon nut butter on each half.
  • varia2u
    Options
    @Geocitiesuser I've been wondering about the quirks of baking with coconut flour so thanks for the tip. I'll try this and see how it works out.
  • varia2u
    Options
    @Merrysix did I read that right? 4 cups of egg beaters? Isn't that 16 eggs?
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't really like cloud bread as a bread replacement, but I do like to add a bit of vanilla extract and a stevia drop or two to the standard recipe to make a low-carb pancake alternative. They keep okay for a few days in a sealed container on my counter and taste good with sugar free syrup. I just heat them in the microwave. The way they get a bit soggy/sticky when stored isn't a problem for this, but that is why I don't really like them as a bread alternative. Also, I don't think they have enough structure for sandwiches, but others seem to like them fine for that.
  • varia2u
    Options
    @anaxmann thanks very much for that tip. Will keep it in mind when I get around to trying it. The photos I've seen don't paint the whole picture then.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a recipe, but la tortilla factory makes REALLY good low carb tortillas.

We second this. Their tortillas are really, really good and you can even get flavored ones (wheat, sun dried tomato, etc).

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Isn't this kind of like asking for a low-protein steak recipe?
  • varia2u
    Options
    LOL @lynn_glenmont not at all. Low carb bread really does exist.