Healthy mac 'n' cheese?

Options
elana1987
elana1987 Posts: 135 Member
Is there such a thing? :smile:

It's probably my favorite comfort food - and if anyone has an easy (and easy on the cals) recipe, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing?
    Those exact words popped into my mind when I read the title.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like "Hungry Girl" Mac'n cheese. I use whole wheat pasta and laughing cow cheese. You can save some of the pasta water to thin the "sauce" out if it's too thick.
  • ArmyWifeBrionna
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com

She has a huge assortment of great recipes and one includes an AMAZING Mac & Cheese!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    OMG, PLEASE say that there is one!! That's one of the foods I miss the most. I'm going to go and search one out right now!! Be back!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i just made the skinnytaste.com mac and cheese last weekend.

to effin die for!! it was soooo good
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like "Hungry Girl" Mac'n cheese. I use whole wheat pasta and laughing cow cheese. You can save some of the pasta water to thin the "sauce" out if it's too thick.

I agree. It is yummy, fast and easy :)
  • elana1987
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'll have to try some recipes and report back. :happy:
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I was wondering this just yesterday! Lol I googled it, but couldn't find any that didn't take forever to prepare and were within my (meager) culinary talents :laugh: Hopefully someone here has a great recipe!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I make it with Barilla plus pasta, 2% milk cheese and use canned skimmed milk instead of heavy cream and a combination of olive oil and Benecol instead of butter. If you are not opposed to tofu, adding a little silken tofu can help bulk it up without changing the taste. It's still pretty high calorie so not something you want to eat every day, but certainly better than the high fat white pasta stuff.
  • Derbygrrl77
    Options
    I agree 100%-hungry grrl!! and her alfredo pasta( w laughing cow ect) is awesome!!
  • elana1987
    Options
    Wow, some awesome ideas!! Great!
  • meganmcg77
    meganmcg77 Posts: 38
    Options
    I made the Hungry Girl Mac & Cheese for the first time last night - it was so good! And only 202 calories.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Found one in my Eat This Not That recipe book:

(You could probably cut calories by taking out the ham and the bread crumbs).

(serves 6)

2 Tbsp butter
    1/2 a yellow onion
    2 Tbsp flour
    3 cups milk
    2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 lb of elbow macaroni
    1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
    2 oz ham or prosciutto cut into think strips
    1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

480 calories, 9 grams of fat, 450mg sodium.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Please Cheese Me

Our mac 'n cheese doesn't need to be a fluorescent shade of orange to stand up to the competition. It tastes AMAZING, and it's as simple as A-B-C, 1-2-3, Do-Re-Mi. (P.S. The cheesy cauliflower works perfectly here -- trust us!)

Ingredients:
    6 cups (about 24 oz.) frozen Green Giant Cauliflower & Cheese Sauce
    2 cups uncooked Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Blend Rotini Pasta (or another whole-wheat or whole-wheat-blend pasta)
    3 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    Optional: salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Prepare pasta according to the instructions on the box, and then drain well and set aside. While pasta is cooking, place contents of the cauliflower & sauce package in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 12 - 16 minutes, until sauce has melted and cauliflower is hot.

Once the bowl is cool enough to handle, remove it from the microwave and add cooked pasta. Set aside. Unwrap cheese wedges and place in a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth, and then add to the bowl.

Mix thoroughly, ensuring that the Laughing Cow cheese is evenly distributed and the pasta and cauliflower are coated in cheese sauce. If you like, season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 cup
    Calories: 202
    Fat: 4.5g
    Sodium: 825mg
    Carbs: 36g
    Fiber: 5g
    Sugars: 6g
    Protein: 8.5g

PointsPlus® value 5*
  • dandy_mandy
    Options
    Yummy ideas, thanks all!!
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options

wow that sounds sooo delish
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you like the traditional blue box, we use the Kraft Deluxe Dinner made with 2% cheese sauce. It's fast, easy, delicious and only 290 calories per serving. There are 4 servings in a box, and we have this quite often. I eat it as a side, because I'm from the south and we don't do mac & cheese as a MEAL. LOL