Tips to loose 30lbs and tone up

Options
New to mfp seeing results with exercises im currently doing and my new diet plan. Any better tips to loose the weight then walking for almost 3 hours a day. I have chronic asthma so its harder for me to run/jog 14 minutes is my limit before an asthma attack. Any exercise tips for the medically impaired.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (for you) and use a food scale to weigh all your food, logging everything into your food diary.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You lose weight by simply cutting down calories, go into a caloric deficit of -500 calories, up your protein to 20-30% in case you don't wanna lose muscle, as easy as this. cardio is optional but it all matters to calories, you can just walk for 30-60minutes or lift weights as your cardio.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has to do with calories not with amount of exercise. If you want to lose weight all you need to do is eat less calories than you burn off. Exercise is fantastic for your health and for muscles and overall well-being. If you have asthma how about skipping the Walk and Run and instead either do weight lifting or something like swimming
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (for you) and use a food scale to weigh all your food, logging everything into your food diary.

This! I has asthma also. I just started lifting this year and absolutely love it.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'd continue doing as much cardio as you are safely able to. It will be good for your lungs to get stronger even with the asthma, of course this will be a thing you'll have to manage. You will just have to progress more cautiously.

Eating more lean protein (low fat protein like chicken breast and low fat cottage cheese) will make you feel more satiated and it will help your body keep as much muscle as possible while you lose weight.

Following a progressive weight-lifting program such as Strong Lifts 5 x 5 (free app, easy to follow, can do at home with a few adjustments) will only help shortcut the path to good muscle definition.

There's one thing I know of (I'm sure there are others) you can do that isn't quite cardio that will help you burn more calories over the day and that is squats. Do 5 sets of 5 reps of squats 3 times per week of a nice heavy-for-you weight (I only say this number of reps and sets etc. because it is easy to remember and matches the Strong Lifts recommendation I gave you above). I've found that doing these in the morning elevates my heart rate above normal on the days I do them. It's because my heart is pumping blood and nutrients to the largest muscles in the body. I have a wrist heart rate monitor that shows me a cute little graph, but the morning is not special, anytime of day will work. This adds about 100 extra calories burned to the day, not including the 30 or so calories you burned doing the squats.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eat less to lose, exercise to shape. Start slow make small adjustments, when you see the progress it will drive you hopefully to do more.
  • mynewme210
    mynewme210 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do 30 squad 3 reps a day and in take. Only 1200 calories a day. And love the cardio i do and super flexible around a busy schedule my fitness partner is my dog and she love the cardio as well lol. Going to start a little weight training as well been nervous about that so got to start light and build up to heavier weights dislocated my shoulder couple years ago. Thanks to every one who responded and luck to everyone loosing and maintaining weight.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Be careful don't hurt yourself, I was injured / sick after Kilimanjaro climb and then hurt my back doing dumbbell lunges a couple months later, long story short gained 20lbs... but back it at and 3 down.
  • Rusty740
    Options
    mynewme210 wrote: »
    I do 30 squad 3 reps a day and in take. Only 1200 calories a day. And love the cardio i do and super flexible around a busy schedule my fitness partner is my dog and she love the cardio as well lol. Going to start a little weight training as well been nervous about that so got to start light and build up to heavier weights dislocated my shoulder couple years ago. Thanks to every one who responded and luck to everyone loosing and maintaining weight.

What you've described here is perfect. Take the weights slow, you are far, far better off learning the correct, safe form and increasing the weights lifted slowly. You'll be surprised how the weights go up once you've lost the weight and begin to return to maintenance.

Only one thing to add to what you've got there. Absolutely do not stop weight training, it is a patient process that needs to be tracked. Get yourself a little book or something and write your workouts down, so you can add 2.5 lbs to the next workout. If you don't have weights, use milk jugs and add or subtract water ;)
  • mynewme210
    Options
    I hear you on that 3 months in a sling 6 months out of tennis couldn't make it to physical therapy so im worried about lifting weights again because my shoulder dislodges alot and a crybaby when it does going to start at 5 pounds and hopefully works out for me.
  • mynewme210
    Options
    Already down 5 pounds and my fiancé is supportive and proud that Im doing this for myself. I was alway a bigger growing up and thought i couldn't change it but here I am 5 pounds lighter then when I started got another 30 to go but im confident that i can do this
  • Rusty740
    Options
    5 lb turns into 6, then 10 and before you know it you'll be there :)

Weightlifting with very light weights and adding slowly will increase your strength and probably fix that shoulder. Try adding some overhead presses along with your squats.
  • mynewme210
    Options
    Thats what im hoping use to do 25 lbs weight before the accident tore all the ligaments and tendons. In my left shoulder. Back to 15 push up use to do 25 going to face my fears and pick up weights again.