Homemade meal replacement bar question

EricExtreme
EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I would like to make home made protein bars as all of the ones in the store are junk. I need a binder to hold it together but all of the normal binding ingredients are either syrups, butters, peanut butter, or eggs. I am allergic to eggs and can't digest any type of butter and can't have and don't want all of the calories from oils. I also can't have peanut butter due to my horrible digestive disorder. I can't have fruits and veggies. Does anyone know of anything that I can use as a binder that isn't a fruit, vegetable, egg, milk, peanut butter, syrup, honey, molasses, or any type of calorie heavy product. I really don't want to add any calories to my bars and that includes sugars. I will be using vanilla rice protein powder, rolled oats, cinnamon, and a little ground flaxseed. I just need a binder to hold it together, but I can't have any type of binder that I have found suggested on the internet. Thanks!

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited May 2017
    Perhaps look into VitaFiber. It is sweet but it is high in fibre. I use it with protein powder and flavourings to make protein bars. I order it from Amazon. I use it with a binder and add Loranne oils for flavouring, nuts, cocoa nibs, pb2, belgian chocolate chips, etc. I usually make them between 200-300 cals and they have a quest bar like texture but taste much better.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    Psyllium husk? It turns sort of gluey when you mix it with water.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    chia seeds?
  • EricExtreme
    edited May 2017
    I just tried an idea...

¼ cup rolled oats
    1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
    4 tablespoons of vanilla rice protein powder
    ⅓ cup of original almond milk
    ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon of EnerG Egg Replacer (mostly potato starch which will be my low calorie binder)

Bake in a silicone protein bite mold for around 10 minutes.

Nutritional profile:
    27.3g protein
    26g carbs (4.5g fiber, 4g sugar)
    3.1g fat (.4 saturated, 1.4 polyunsaturated, 1.2 monounsaturated)
    245 calories

I just tried it and it worked great. It was delicious. I want to now try it with my chocolate rice protein powder and a little PBfit peanut butter replacement.
  • EricExtreme
    yi8zlbwd0c0o.png
    6i7kndz79wy6.png