Always hungry

Options
13»

Replies

• Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay. Now - when you do so, you will *maybe* show a slight gain on the scale (1-3 pounds) - Hold your course! It will drop off in a week. It's just your body replenishing depleted glycogen storage. Not fat. It will let go of it. Hold steady.

How much are you going to raise your calories?

I'm going to eat an extra 500 a day. On days where I have my boxing training i can eat more because I spend a lot of calories at the gym. It will work out. Being hungry sometimes is ok but all day is just not ok with me.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you have a standard/consistent workout plan - you might look at using a TDEE recommendation, rather than MFP (since it factors in workout calories)
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've had trouble with the same thing and I have similar goals as you. Thank you for asking this question. I am enjoying reading all of these responses.

What I have to add is the types of food you are eating definitely makes a difference. I have a hard time eating in my calories when I eat crap. Like I usually would eat something like a slice of cheese pizza for more than 500 calories and be starving by 3:00 p.m., but today for lunch I had a salad (with fruit and nuts and dressing), two medium-ish blocks of baked tofu, and 12 crackers for less than 500 cals. I have not been hungry or craving a snack since I ate it, and it's after 3. I probably won't be hungry again until about 4:30. So eat a balanced diet.

And veggies are your best friend. You can eat a lot of them for less cals and it will calm the beast until you can fall asleep/refocus your hunger.

I also eat my exercise calories back. I have always done so, and when I log consistently, I lose weight. You sound like you work out a lot. When I was doing two-a-day workouts and going to they gym 6/7 days a week, I would definitely listen to my hunger on those double-duty days. Eat healthy, but listen to your body and eat those exercise cals!
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi! We started at almost identical stats - I'm also 5'5, and I started my weight loss journey at 185 lbs at the age of 40, a year and a half ago. I am currently maintaining at 138-139 lbs, at about 2,000 calories a day.
    I walk at least 10,000 steps a day, but do no other exercise.
    I lost about 1 lb per week for the first couple of months eating about 1,600 calories a day, then kept losing slowly for another year or so, about 1/2 lb per week, until I got to my desired weight. I wouldn't last a day eating as low as 1,200 calories. But I have been quite meticulous about my logging.
    Good luck in your journey!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry eat. I would be sure to make good food choices if it's later in the evening though. It's also a good thing to feel a little hungry between meals and when going to bed or so I've been told in the past. Not so hungry you can't stand it or if it keeps you from sleeping at night, but a little hungry in between meals.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP it took me nearly 2 years to lose 30lbs. Granted i took maintenance breaks here and there for a couple months at a time, and had times where my logging wasn't spot on, but i got there in the end!

I did get impatient and decided to drop down to 1200 calories... This lasted for a whole 3 miserable days, there is no way i could eat such low calories on a long term basis, as i would inevitably binge and wipe out out any deficit i had in the first place.
  • Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OP it took me nearly 2 years to lose 30lbs. Granted i took maintenance breaks here and there for a couple months at a time, and had times where my logging wasn't spot on, but i got there in the end!

I did get impatient and decided to drop down to 1200 calories... This lasted for a whole 3 miserable days, there is no way i could eat such low calories on a long term basis, as i would inevitably binge and wipe out out any deficit i had in the first place.

I feel you! You guys should know I ate 1600 calories today and I feel great. I worked out then trained and i am so happy i upped my calorie intake .

The plan is to lose the weight and I am in no real hurry to lose it. Like I said 1-2 pounds a week and if it's 0.5 then so be it. Slow and steady wins the race, or something along those lines!

Good job on losing the weight!!