Selective Eating Disorder

Options
kburns0709
kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this problem, but I'll go ahead and give a brief overview of the condition. To most people it just seems like I'm a grown woman that eats like a 5 year old. Selective eating is like your body rejects foods it's not comfortable with. I tried to do the HCG diet and found that I couldn't even eat lettuce. It wasn't the taste or the texture or anything but my throat physically closes up and rejects food that it doesn't know. I realize this is weird. Duke did a study that I participated in, and basically they found the only thing to do is to try to get people to understand that we're not little children turning our noses up to be brats.

Anyway this condition has not interfered with my life in any significant way, I eat many different foods compared to others with the disorder (there was one guy that only eat fries and beer!) but it makes it difficult to diet. Pretty much all spices (save salt) taste EXTREMELY strong to me so most recipes don't work. I don't eat very many veggies (peas, corn, potatoes, okra, beans) or meats (just beef), but I eat most fruits and grains. I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with this condition and has any advice for me in terms of an eating plan that will help me. Thank you guys so much and if you're interested I'm brand new on here and would love to meet new friends!

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That ounds like me, I'm making an appointment with my dietician because I can't eat veg..at all. It literally makes me sick and it's not an allergy because I used to eat it as a kid, before I point blank refused it over ten years ago! It's not the taste and texture because I like it, but I can't physically eat it, and yes, it does make dieting VERY hard! So no tips here, but I know what it feels like.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • NurdyNurse
    NurdyNurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am familar because I also have this disorder. I honestly hate it, but at this point I guess I am not willing to do much about it. For the most part I am happy and healthy. I am over weight, however it honestly could be worse. I am on my way to being thinner by using MFP, exercising and staying within my calories.

Feel free to friend me. I won't judge your diet if you don't judge mine! :flowerforyou: ~patty
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I read about the study about 1 month ago...I was like this is me I go through periods where I will talk myself into eating certain foods but then if I push myself to eat them I kind of throw up in my mouth I know it sounds gross... When I talked to my nutritionist he said just eat what you like and keep trying new things as you can...Its horrible my daughter is the same way she would go days without eating if I dont give her what she likes. During the school year she lost weight cuz she didnt want to eat after school at the day care!! I feel like a child in this way my diary consist of the same basic foods, and restaurants and I hate trying anything new...Uhhh Im glad Im not the only one out there!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think your two main obstacles are going to be veggies and protein. Unfortunately, the vegetables you listed as being palatable aren't really vegetables so much as starches. They have good properties in terms of vitamins, etc., but will rack up calories much more quickly than, say, spinach or broccoli. You might want to consider taking fiber and vitamin supplements so that you won't become deficient in these nutrients once you start limiting your calories. Also, be sure to drink a LOT of water to make up for the water you would be getting from vegetables.
    In terms of protein, it's important that you explore options other than beef. You didn't say anything about tofu, nuts, or nut products, but if you can stomach those, they are good sources of protein. Also, the beans that you mentioned can form a complete amino acid profile if combined with rice (this is just an example of combining incomplete amino acid sources; you can Google it), leading to a good source of protein. I prefer to eat real food, but sometimes protein bars and shakes are good options if that's a nutrient that you are lacking. Nuts have a lot of fat in addition to protein, so be sure to be very careful about portions (I'd recommend almonds and walnuts for their omega-3s, but I am also a peanut butter addict). Also, do you eat dairy? Nonfat or low-fat dairy can be a great staple. I have a plain nonfat Greek yogurt every morning with cereal and fruit and it keeps me going through early-morning classes. AND finally, if you are okay with grains, definitely do some research into fortified grain products to get extra protein and fiber! I like Barilla Plus pastas, Orowheat Health Full breads, and Nature's Path Optimum Slim cereal.
    My diary is open if you want to look for more ideas. I had some unclean days over the weekend but it's good for the most part. Feel free to add me if you want, and good luck with this process!.