Why I no longer log exercise on MFP (so liberating!)

melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
I have found myself posting this a lot lately on the boards, or explaining to friends on MFP why they never see me log any exercise. I am a desk worker, I drive to work and walk about 20 feet from my car to building...I am as sedentary as it gets. However, I set my MFP activity level to moderate. This is because I go for a brisk walk (4 mph) every morning, usually doing about 2 miles. Sometimes I will do some other exercises in the evening (go swimming, do an evening walk), sometimes I don't. I let the MFP activity level compensate for all I burn through exercise. I do go hiking on some weekends and I will log that since I can burn 1,000 calories just doing a day hike. However, if it is just my everyday run of the mill cardio, I don't log it.

This won't work for the people who do hardcore workouts, but that's not me :) I just thought I'd pass along a tip that has helped me find MFP to be more manageable for every day use.

Replies

• clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    I do the same I'm a sahm and felt a bit silly keep adding pushing stroller and housework so I don't add anything unless its unusual works so much better
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    Seems like a great idea especially useful for those trying to maintain after reaching their goal weight. It wouldn't work for me now but I will make a note of it. I have read the idea of upping your calories goal and just not logging exercise and not dealing with exercise calories though.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Actually, you are right in what you're doing. You're doing an appropriate amount of physical activity for your lifestyle, and seeing results.
  • 1nsands
    1nsands Posts: 27
    WOW! That's a great idea! If you use it correctly, it could hold you accountable to keep doing the things you're doing to make your activity level moderate!
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    This wouldnt work for me, but it's great that it works for you!