Newbie Lookin for Tips

Options
I don't really know what a proper introduction consists of but hey, I'm Riss, 18, looking to get into shape for a paramedic program I'll be starting in the fall, haven't actually exercised in years. So I'm starting at the very bottom.

I used to go for a jog every day and have recently started that up again, but I've never tried muscle building before - specifically building some upper body strength (or anything that will help me with lifting). So if anyone's got some tips for that I'd appreciate it a lot!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ellen, 45 and trying to lose weight and hang onto as much muscle as I can while doing it. I walked into a fitness store about 4 months ago and told the clerk I was completely new to strength training (beyond having a fitness glider for cardio that works the major muscles a bit... but it's not really meant for strength training). The clerk recommended fit tubes or dumbbells. At the time, it boiled down to my having walked there in 45 minutes and doubting I could handle the return trip with weights in a shopping bag.

I got some exercises off of the manufacturer's website www.theragear.ca and some others off of YouTube. This one is meant primarily for upper body.

I noticed that after a few weeks, I was ready to trade my "light" resistance tube for "medium" and a couple of weeks ago, I went up to "heavy". I hadn't noticed any obvious changes until I was in a different store and, just for fun, picked up a 10-lb dumbbell and tested out some biceps curls. Now, years ago, when I belonged to a gym, the biceps curl machine was one machine I dreaded. 10 lbs was the lightest setting and I was lucky to get six reps in. Well, this time, I think I did about 20 reps, feeling some resistance—I'm not going to pretend it felt like 'nothing', but I wasn't straining and I could have gone a bit longer.

Since then, I've also added some dumbbells, resistance bands (long, wide strips of latex that work much like the tubes. I find that for some exercises, like shoulder rotations, they're better.), a stability ball, a mat, and a Nerf soccer ball (some of my warmup exercises call for it; they're in the book I mention below). Just bought a cardio step yesterday; it helps with some of the lower body exercises.

YouTube has great workouts at different levels and with different equipment or no equipment at all. (Remember, push-ups and ab crunches are great for strength building!) If you'd rather a book, I've been enjoying Joan Pagano's Strength Training Exercises for Women.

• AussieNickB
    AussieNickB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Riss,
    Welcome to he community.
    You will find lots of good resources and tips on here and if your still looking for other ideas, you can use websites like bodybuilding.com
    You can find various programs that match your fitness level.
    Biggest tip is look at your overall fitness requirements for your specified course, then break them down into achievable goals spaced through out your new fitness program.
    Dont forget to take weekly pics to track your progress as it is often hard for our eyes to comprehend the change unless you put a before and after pic etc.
    If you can find a workout buddy, that is even better when starting off.
    Take your time, enjoy the soreness and overall, just have fun.
  • HailState1978
    HailState1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    im a Emt as well wish i would had went on into medic program