Eating at caloric deficit and still can lose

Options
I've been eating at a caloric deficit for a few weeks now (this is just an example) and I still can't lose anything? Any advice on food changes ? I also bike 4km a day..

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How are you determining your intake?

If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    How regularly have you weighed to determine no loss? How many is a few weeks?
    ohq5qbbgep5w.jpg

• mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How are you determining the calories? Are you weighing and/or measuring your portions?
  • DesiDesi2016
    DesiDesi2016 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Read the China Study/watch Forks Over Knives:) If you're eating too many (really any) animal products, esp if you're eating a lot of protein/dairy/fat this can make losing weight a challenge.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Buy one, use it.
  • ladydeathstar66
    ladydeathstar66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Please refer to my photo attachment

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ehowders wrote: »
    Read the China Study/watch Forks Over Knives:) If you're eating too many (really any) animal products, esp if you're eating a lot of protein/dairy/fat this can make losing weight a challenge.

No.

OP-measure all food, solids with a scale, liquids with cups or spoons. Most people underestimate portions. Do you eat back exercise calories? They can be a bit inflated, so only eating back a portion of them works better for most of us.
  • ladydeathstar66
    Options
    The one thing I don't have is a food scale. I weigh in once a week. I also log my food and exercise daily. It seems like my water rentionion is preventing me from making any sort of progress?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The one thing I don't have is a food scale. I weigh in once a week. I also log my food and exercise daily. It seems like my water rentionion is preventing me from making any sort of progress?

No, your lack of food scale is preventing you making any sort of progress. You're likely underestimating what you're eating.

Yep. This.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can get a food scale for under $20 at pretty much any basic store. It's definitely worth investing in one.
  • ladydeathstar66
    Options
    It that's how many I've been eating? Lol I'm not cheating
    Please refer to my photo attachment

That shows how many calories you logged. Not how you determined that they were the calories you ate.

• ladydeathstar66
    Options
    How much should food weigh? I've never weighed food before

No, your lack of food scale is preventing you making any sort of progress. You're likely underestimating what you're eating.

• mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A food scale is invaluable. I use it for as many foods as possible. I can pack a lot of ice cream into a 1/2 cup measure...but the scale doesn't lie!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'd say the lack of a food scale, tbh. My typical breakfast involves, among other things a cup of grapes. According to the MFP database, that's 62 calories. This week, I finally started weighing out the grapes after measuring them into a cup. Turns out that my "cup" holds about 180 grams, which came in at 125 calories yesterday. There are many foods out there with higher calories that I might not have been logging correctly because I was going with cups and spoons for dry measures.

Highly recommend you get the food scale.