Eating or not eating before working out, does it help?

Options
I've read a couple of articles lately regarding working out on a completely empty stomach and wanted others opinion on the matter.
A few sources stated that when you workout on an empty stomach you burn a different kind of fat vs. when you workout having had eaten with in a couple of hours. The articles basically stated working out first thing in the morning without any fuel is more beneficial for fat burn and weight loss.
Anyone tested this? Thoughts?
I've tried it and find it challenging, my body is sluggish because there's no fuel. But I'll suck it up and push through if in fact it's really beneficial.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    If it you're finding it challenging and feel sluggish compared to normal, I'd say that's your answer, if you're not feeling good you're probably not performing well. From what little I've read it's aimed more at those with lower body fat % when trying to tackle the last stubborn bits to lean out.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just having this same conversation with my bodybuilding competition group. I have always been of the school of thought that it's important to fuel your workouts and I had done that for a long time. I always made sure to eat a couple of hours prior so the food wouldn't bother me in my belly and all that... I read a while ago that a fasted workout doesn't necessarily burn more calories or just fat calories, etc. But a few weeks ago I began my competition prep and I have to tell you... when I do my fasted workout in the morning I am absolutely on fire! I have a ton of energy and amazing strength to lift and do cardio and tons of stamina! It kind of reversed on me. When I eat first or even if I just have a shake I feel sluggish through my workout. So I am switching to fasted from here on in... :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jenib1981 wrote: »
    I've read a couple of articles lately regarding working out on a completely empty stomach and wanted others opinion on the matter.
    A few sources stated that when you workout on an empty stomach you burn a different kind of fat vs. when you workout having had eaten with in a couple of hours. The articles basically stated working out first thing in the morning without any fuel is more beneficial for fat burn and weight loss.
    Anyone tested this? Thoughts?
    I've tried it and find it challenging, my body is sluggish because there's no fuel. But I'll suck it up and push through if in fact it's really beneficial.

It is not going to make a difference in your overall weight loss and really comes down to personal preference. Your calorie deficit is going to be what drives weight loss.

Plus, if eating before exercising allows you to keep up with the exercising, it is going to be better for your overall fitness than would going without eating and then not being able to perform well.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I mainly work out in the morning with only having had coffee. My energy varies, but either way I only get about 30 minutes to work out so that's not long enough completely wipe myself out in any scenario. I am usually energetic once I get to work and still don't eat for another 2ish hours. No idea about the fat burn though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference really.

I do fasted cardio most of the time as I will get cramps..however I do eat something a couple hours before most cardio...(unless it's first thing in the morning in which case it's fasted)

Lifting I do when I feel like it but I do try to do it before I eat my dinner but I usually have something small to eat about an hour before.

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning with no food (I'd throw up). Works for me not for others. I have also noticed that if my dinner is deficient in protein it is harder to push myself the next morning. I can't say I've noticed any more loss than I did when I worked out in the evenings.
    I think the idea is more for cardio than strength training too - Fasting cardio is what they call it.
    Do what is best for you - phoning it in while fasted vs kicking butt because you have the fuel your body needs. I'm guessing that option two is going to get you to your goals faster.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the early afternoon not long after lunch. I really don't think about it as far as whether or not I eat first. I go by how I feel at the time.
  • HonestBuddha
    HonestBuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've recently read an article that says that not eating before a work-out will force your body to burn the fat and calories already you have. It says if you eat that you will burn off the fat in the food and not off your body. And it says that eating after while your body is working hard helps keep burning that food.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it's personal preference. For instance: I am doing the C25K challenge, and find that I prefer that in the morning before breakfast (I run outside and locally to me). I go to the gym in the evenings after dinner, because again that suits me. However, I have to leave at least 30-45 mins, ideally longer, between dinner and starting exercise in order for me not to feel sick/vomit.

I'm losing weight because I am eating at a slight deficit. That is the key more than anything else.

The clip linked below is of a very small scale study that suggest there is a difference, so you might find that interesting. However, remember it is all personal preference. Do what feels right to you, not what someone else claims to be the key to burning more fat.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4glyLcrhgqQtPGQYM11l1YJ/the-big-experiment-how-can-i-get-my-body-to-burn-more-fat-without-doing-more-exercise
  • Pinkpanther_15
    Pinkpanther_15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would also agree that it is personal preference. I workout in the morning or early afternoon with no food. I never eat before I workout, I always get cramps. My boyfriend on the other hand, can eat dinner and go workout right after.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try both ways over the course of a week or two and figure out which works best for you. I personally cannot eat before a workout because I get sick to my stomach and have, on a few occasions, thrown up while running.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I bike to work and eat my breakfast here. It's more a case of waking up not-that-hungry and deciding to delay eating until I am hungry to make it easier to get to lunch without snacking.

I don't think it helps my performance (but I'm not a performance athlete, I'm just a commuter). I don't think it matters to weight loss, other than as a strategy to begin eating later in the day and perhaps end up eating less overall.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do both--a few mornings a week, I workout before 5:30 am and don't eat, and the other times, I will have a light breakfast first (half a bowl of oatmeal and a tsp of peanut butter and a coffee) about a half hour beforehand. I do feel more energized with a little food in my stomach, but I can still get in a rigorous workout without food. UNLESS I totally cut carbs the previous day (rare) and in that case, I need food first.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a personal preference. Gauge your energy levels. If you need something to eat before workouts, go ahead and eat. I know I have to have something in my stomach before I workout, even at only 30 mins. If it's been a long time since lunch or I ate particularly light that day (I work out after work), I'll have a banana or a piece of cheese or something just prior to going to the gym. It helps me maintain energy for the workout.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I used to think you shouldn't work out on an empty stomach (I just assumed I would get light headed or something), but have actually found I perform much better that way.
  • nikkipoooo
    nikkipoooo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to have a banana or boiled egg before morning workouts (I eat nothing before afternoon or evening workouts), but then I was lazy and didn't get up early enough and got out of the habit, especially after I realized that it really doesn't change how I feel during the workout.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    See what you like better- I workout fasted in the morning because I don't like having anything on my stomach or I get nauseous. My husband can't function at all without some breakfast first. So we just do what works best for us.

I get a lot of awesome advice on the forums but in the end, a lot of it is trial and error to see what works best for you to get the results you want in a safe and healthy way. But learning to listen to your body is a critical part of weight loss and exercising, so when you start to understand what feels best to you, results will come even faster.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to burn fat I'll try not and eat about 2 hours prior. If I'm going to be lifting heavy I will eat pretty close to the workout...protein shake and some carbs.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do it either way. Depends on if I'm hungry in the morning or if I've pushed my workout to a later time than normal. I have never noticed a difference in my energy related to this.

Rather, I have noticed that the time of day that I workout is more important for me. If I workout in the morning, I feel more energetic than if I leave it until evening.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference for weight loss. While it does cause you to burn more fat during exercise, it will all balance out by a few days later. I sometimes go for a bicycle ride on an empty stomach because I intend to stop at a pancake house before continuing my ride. So, the biggest advantage for me is that it let's me eat more when I get there.