Work Snacks

Options
laurenebargar
laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
I LOVE the flavor and few ingredients that are in Larabars, but they don't keep me full. I cant stand quest bars. Does anyone have any bars that will keep me full (as a snack) but that taste good and dont have a ton of ingredients? Any other suggestions for snacks at work?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Why a bar? How about an appple + handful of almonds? String cheese, greek yogurt cup, fiber one bar (although that may have "too many" ingredients?), veggies + hummus, whole wheat crackers + pb
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Why a bar? How about an appple + handful of almonds? String cheese, greek yogurt cup, fiber one bar (although that may have "too many" ingredients?), veggies + hummus, whole wheat crackers + pb

Those are all great suggestions, it doesnt have to be a bar, but I am looking for a bar I can add to my diet, Ive found especially when hiking on the weekends its great to have something like that to bring with me if I get hungry, and it tastes good.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

LOL, other than the fiber one bars, I pretty much bring/keep all of those snacks for work. :smile:
  • laurenebargar
    Options

Those are all great suggestions, it doesnt have to be a bar, but I am looking for a bar I can add to my diet, Ive found especially when hiking on the weekends its great to have something like that to bring with me if I get hungry, and it tastes good.

Also regarding the ingredients, there is nothing wrong with have alot of ingredients, I eat plenty of foods this way, however I like that Larabars had a short ingredient list and I could pronounce everything on the list. Ideally Id like to eat more foods like this, which is why generally I try to make 90% of our meals at home, and bring my lunches to work etc. Im not saying theres anything wrong with it, I just enjoyed seeing such a short list of ingredients.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Can you make your own?

Here is a link to some recipes: https://www.lowcarblab.com/best-low-carb-protein-bar-recipes/

Some of them look pretty simple and a few don't require cooking.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I usually do a hardboiled egg & mustard.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    @Sunna_W I definitely could and thats a great idea. I never really looked into this before.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a fridge, I recommend getting some hummus and thin rice cakes to scoop it with (Lundberg Thin Stackers rice cakes are my favorite! Thicker rice cakes crumble too much.) I have some as a snack when I first get peckish around 10 AM and it can keep me satisfied until 1 or 2. It's the fiber and the fat in the hummus.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My problem with Larabars - although they are my favorite of the fast bars - is they're just too much sugar in one sitting. I started buying dried figs and eating just one at a time instead. Lots of fiber and potassium in them but less than a full Larabar.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My go to snack is almonds
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    sylkates wrote: »
    My problem with Larabars - although they are my favorite of the fast bars - is they're just too much sugar in one sitting. I started buying dried figs and eating just one at a time instead. Lots of fiber and potassium in them but less than a full Larabar.

i can totally see that, sometimes I can only finish half a bar, The new mint chocolate chip brownie is my favorite flavor though
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

Those are definitely on my list for this week, In the past I havent been a huge fan of nuts by themselves, but I havent tried them recently to be honest.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

The suggestion of a piece of fruit plus nuts or seeds seems like it would be practical on a hike. Or you could bring fresh vegetables, like cherry tomatoes or bell pepper strips. Fresh fruit or vegetables would also help with hydration.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Perhaps pair half a luna bar with something else (a boiled egg, a few nuts) to make it a more balanced snack?

For hiking, there's always trail mix.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

Those are definitely on my list for this week, In the past I havent been a huge fan of nuts by themselves, but I havent tried them recently to be honest.

the flavored almonds are the same calories as others, my current fix is from the Smokehouse Almonds. Get a big bag and small ziplocs, spend 15 minutes dividing them up in portion sizes and grab one on the way out the house. :)

on Bars, I go for highest protein bars. they tend to be rather dense though and not the best tasting. Kelloggs has some, South Beach has some that are pretty good.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    For hiking - or quick at work, turkey jerky. 13g protein in 1 oz for 80 calories.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I bring an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack every day. Snacks include sugar snap peas, carrots, hummus, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, sunflower seeds.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Second nature trail mixes. My fave is the celebration medley.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks - oatmeal, boiled eggs, cottage cheese, veggies, banana, protein bar occasionally (whatevers cheap), nuts... I've been trying to cut back on snacks because I pack them just in case and I find myself eating them even when I don't truly feel hungry.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like hard boiled eggs and greek yogurt as snacks for work (not really for hiking without insulation).

As far as bars go, I like the KIND bars for a snack and I like the Chunky Peanut Butter ThinkThin Bars. You could also just have a thing of protein powder at work and a shake bottle to make a snack protein shake as well.