Sedentary or Lightly Active? Someone help please.

Options
I have lost 86lbs so far and it has been a choppy process. I have had my weight loss set to Sedentary and to lose 2 lbs per week but I have not been in complete control of my eating the whole time and I lost the weight mainly because I was extremely overweight starting my journey at 415lbs. So on to my original question I weigh 328.8 now and I work a desk job where I am sitting down most of the day however when I leave work I go home and am on my feet constantly because I have 2 children and I have to clean my house every day. I have a current goal of 2100 cal which is Sedentary and 2lbs per week. I also go to the gym about 3 times per week and do cardio and strength training. I am finding it hard to stay within the 2100 cal range and I overeat which then gives me the mindset " oh well I am over my calories anyways" then I eat more. Any opinions on whether I should keep the Sedentary or Change it to lightly active?

Replies

• brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking the higher setting and then not eating all those cals.

If that doesn't work, you don't have to pick one or the other, just override your calorie goal to something in between. Through trial and error I know that typically I am more than sedentary but not quite lightly active so I just set my daily goal to an exact calorie target that is in between the two. If I have overly active days I go ahead and log (some of ) the activity.
  • terryt1992
    terryt1992 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @brznhabits I like this idea I think I am going to try the Lightly Active for a week or 2 and see what happens and during that time I will make sure when I am not at work and am being Lightly Active and I think this will work but if not I will make the adjustments you suggested.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have read that sedentary is set with a cut off of 3500 steps outside of intentional exercise
    For each activity level up you add a further 2500 which would make lightly active up to 6000 steps.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I have read that sedentary is set with a cut off of 3500 steps outside of intentional exercise
    For each activity level up you add a further 2500 which would make lightly active up to 6000 steps.

for most people sedentary starts getting exceeded at 3500 steps and tops out by 5000
    lightly active starts getting exceeded at 6-7K and tops out by 8.5K or so
    active starts getting exceeded at 10K and tops out by 12K or so
    very active starts getting exceeded in some cases as low ~13.5K or so and tops out in most cases by 15.5K.

So I would say that if you add 3,500 steps per increment to your base 3,500 you would have a closer estimate.

However a slightly complicating factor, @Lillymoo01 is that when I am talking steps and topping out, I am looking at total activity regardless of source.

In other words I am looking at a level of activity that can be represented by the calories corresponding to each level and what SHOULD be added on top is whatever was not included in the base level chosen, regardless of whether what was not included was deliberate exercise, or not.
  • jetherrart
    jetherrart Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on a modified keto diet and started very very sedentary (350 lbs.). As I lost weight, I had more energy and was able to be more active. Under a Dr care ad with their advice(due to health issues), I have lost over 75 lbs since Dec. Since I am lactose intolerant and diabetic all I basically eat is meat and greens with water to drink. Cutting carbs and sugar was tough, but necessary. I now am a diet and exercise controlled diabetic. I will not be able to gain the weight back, even when I lose enough weight to be able to eat a small amount of carbs. I eat mostly low fat due to having my gallbladder removed years ago and being aware greasy foods = bathroom time. My caloric intake is very low, even when I eat a lot of food(no sugar, low carbs, low fat= low calories). The only times I have been hungry is when I choose not to eat out of boredom with my food.
  • terryt1992
    Options
    Okay so based on what you guys are saying I usually get between like 7000-15000 steps in a day not counting exercise that I add. During the week its between 6000 and 9000 then the weekends I am usually between 10000 and 15000 and that is without having my phone on me all the time to track the steps on the weekend
  • terryt1992
    Options
    @PAV8888 I agreed with what you said 100% and its kind of disappointing knowing that I should be averaging a lot higher than that per week. Its actually less that that too because I started January 2016. I basically will lose 5-10 lbs then yo-yo for a few weeks then I will start to lose weight again but it is 100% my fault that I am not further a long because I am the one who has ate horrible throughout this journey.
  • terryt1992
    Options
    Thanks man you put a lot of effort into that I really appreciate it. I am actually more proud about where I am than I am disappointed about being in a slump. Currently trying lightly active at 2 lbs per week so I think that will help me stop late night splurges. Also just started coaching my sons soccer team (they are 4 years old) it's not too serious but it will help get a little activity that won't be logged as exercise. Well thanks again I'll keep you updated on how this is working. I'm actually about to head to soccer now
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Just want to say you have been doing awesome so far man. My vote is to keep it at sedentary, and like others have said, eat back some of your exercise calories. I'm also going to come bring grave news... as you lose more weight those calories are going to drop more. So if you're having trouble staying in calorie range now is a good time to start looking for new foods to eat that are a little more filling but lower calorie.

I am a HUGE FAN of fiberous vegetables. You can get a steamer bag of string beans that you put in the microwave for like 2 bucks, and almost a pound of string beans is only like 90-120 calories. Paired with a piece of lean meat you will fill your belly, get tons of vitamins, and get a good dosage of protein. But really, you can eat whatever you find that YOU like and what works for you!

And always mind over matter. We are all responsible for our own actions, and that includes having the strength to control our appetities. I will be the first one to tell you that losing weight doesn't always feel nice. I'm down ~130 and there are days I just want run onto a beef ranch with a sword, a fork, and a blow torch.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    terryt1992 wrote: »
    Okay so based on what you guys are saying I usually get between like 7000-15000 steps in a day not counting exercise that I add. During the week its between 6000 and 9000 then the weekends I am usually between 10000 and 15000 and that is without having my phone on me all the time to track the steps on the weekend

Yeah, that's "active" as long as you're not logging the steps for "exercise credit".
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    Any opinions on whether I should keep the Sedentary or Change it to lightly active?

The purpose of setting an "activity level" is just to adjust the TDEE (or NEAT) calculation in order to calculate a recommended daily calorie level to achieve a specific weight goal.

If you increase your activity level, it will raise your TDEE and increase your daily calorie allotment but, if the adjustment is not an accurate reflection of your actual activity level, then you'll just eat more and gain weight (again). You'd only be lying to yourself.

From what you've described, you are basically sedentary. Calling it "light active" won't help.

If you can't lose weight based on the "sedentary" calorie estimates, you may be cheating and/or logging your food intake inaccurately. If those aren't the problems, then the calculation is simply inaccurate (it's just an estimate and individuals vary), so you may simply need to reduce the calorie estimate further regardless of the calculation.

Your body image in the mirror (and the scale) do not lie. You just have to be ready to accept the truth and deal with it, which admittedly is easier said than done.

Good luck!

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Any opinions on whether I should keep the Sedentary or Change it to lightly active?

The purpose of setting an "activity level" is just to adjust the TDEE (or NEAT) calculation in order to calculate a recommended daily calorie level to achieve a specific weight goal.

If you increase your activity level, it will raise your TDEE and increase your daily calorie allotment but, if the adjustment is not an accurate reflection of your actual activity level, then you'll just eat more and gain weight (again). You'd only be lying to yourself.

From what you've described, you are basically sedentary. Calling it "light active" won't help.

If you can't lose weight based on the "sedentary" calorie estimates, you may be cheating and/or logging your food intake inaccurately. If those aren't the problems, then the calculation is simply inaccurate (it's just an estimate and individuals vary), so you may simply need to reduce the calorie estimate further regardless of the calculation.

Your body image in the mirror (and the scale) do not lie. You just have to be ready to accept the truth and deal with it, which admittedly is easier said than done.

Good luck!

Did you miss the part where he said he loses 4-5 pounds per week if he eats the recommended calories for "sedentary"?

The issue is lack of compliance due to the calorie recommendation being too low. So, no, in this particular case, "sedentary" isn't the correct answer.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Good luck!

issue is lack of compliance when losing @ 4-5lb a week rate which is achieved when sticking to sedentary calories.

How would continuing to attempt 4-5lbs a week help?

a) obviously sedentary is an undershoot for tdee else OP would lose at 2lbs not 4-5lbs when complying.
    b) obviously 4-5lbs is too big of a deficit even for his size as it exceeds 1% and even 1.5% of bodyweight.
    c) obviously 4-5lbs is a big enough deficit that it triggers non compliance

a more realistic loss rate where compliance is more consistently achieved and looking into dietary choices with a view of finding long term sustainable options may be good.

It sounds to me like the op is having more of a "balancing" than a calories out issue.
  • terryt1992
    Options
    for the people who have commented I have not changed my calories. I am still at sedentary and still having the same problem. I know I should have made a change already I am just afraid that I will up the calorie in take and start to gain weight. Part of my problem is that it is hard to eat back my exercise calories because I go to the gym at night. So I have already eaten everything for the day and when I get home from the gym it is around 1 am