5:2 UK friends?

Options
Hi All,

I have just started the 5:2 diet and my fast days are Tuesdays & Thursdays. I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this eating plan on here? Might be nice to support & motivate each other. Lisa x

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was doing it the last few months (lost 10 lbs in December alone!). Im just switching out of it for a few weeks cauae I want to do 21 day fix workouts and I'm not sure I can handle them on only 500 cal. But there are a few groups on here you can search and join!
  • cherene2009
    cherene2009 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im just about to start this diet i go the gym im unsure how i will be able to survive on work out days
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and gave this a go this week for the first time. My fast days were also Tuesday and Thursday as that's what suits my activities.

I was fine on Tuesday and got through the day fine, found it very easy BUT I was at home all day alone.

On Thursday I was at work and found it incredibly hard with everyone eating around me. I lasted until mid afternoon and gave in, then ate my normal amount of calories for the day.

I wouldn't even attempt it on gym days in hind sight, although I think many do and are fine.

I am going to give it another go next week. It may take me a few weeks to get used to it, or it may be just not suited to me.
  • Sparkle_2017
    Sparkle_2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK and have just got back on the wagon to lose some weight. I've been thinking about trying 5:2, can I ask, how many calories do you eat on the non-fasting days? Do you track or not worry but just try and eat well?
    I think I can manage the fasting days but I'm worried I'll over eat (or possibly under eat) on the non-fasting days.
    Any tips welcome!! Thanks :smile:
  • claire47
    claire47 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing with the 5:2? I'm about 2 months behind this post, it's worked for me in the past but I couldn't maintain and have put even more on after a bout out comfort eating after a bereavement, today is my first fast day back and I'm hoping I can manage. I just wanna fit my old clothes, it's making me sad. Cx
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Fivefootcaloriecounter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Starting today
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    16/8 for me much easier to control and less up and downs with the constant daily calorie intake.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    dottiestlottiest2015 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I 5:2 and have lost 19lbs in six weeks. I fast Tues and Thurs and do not work out on those days. Tuesdays and Thursdays are my rest days. I find that the easiest way for me to stay on track is to skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner as then my tummy hasn't been woken up until lunchtime. Saviour foods are definiely Quorn and Ice lollies. As most of the lollies I get are around 40cal, I feel like I'm having a naughty treat but I'm not.
    I would also advocate being strict with your calorie intake on other days.
  • ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 5:2 diet as I know that it really works for me. I find that limiting my calories for two days during the week means that I can enjoy that extra glass of wine or a burger at the weekend which keeps me motivated!

At the moment I'm also limiting my calories to 1540 on other days as well as I'm getting married next summer and want to lose weight steadily to give myself the best chance at keeping it off rather than crash dieting. I'm 5' 4" and currently 160 lbs, my goal weight is 147 at 1 lb per week for now. I started using MFP properly again in January but it wasn't until I started 5:2 and upped my weekly exercise a bit at the beginning of April that I started to notice more of a difference. As of today I've lost a stone since I went back to 5:2 and it's really motivating me!

I fast on Mondays and Wednesdays as I know that Mondays are rubbish anyway and that my 'diet' will then be over by Wednesday! I remain flexible, though, so if there is a reason to switch my days such as going out for dinner I am not worried about that. I skip breakfast and have roughly 50/50 of my allowance split between lunch and dinner. I don't worry too much if I go over by a few calories, life's too short for that!

I do work out on fast days but I don't go mad. I have read some articles that advocate working out on an emptier stomach but I think it's important to just go with how you feel. If you're feeling extremely hungry and lacking energy then maybe working out isn't the best idea.

My plan once I get to my goal weight is to reassess where I am at. If I'm happy with it I will drop down to 6:1 just to maintain it, if I want to lose more I'll readjust my MFP and keep going.

I'm not sure 5:2 is for everyone, but I'd recommend that anyone give it a go and it might just work for you!