Heeellllpp!!!

I need help, I need motivation, I'm not good at this diet malarkey! :p
I'm a 38 year old mum of 1 little boy and its ridiculous the amount of weight that's sneaked on (ninja style) since I had him. I need to do something about it, so I'm holding myself accountable to every scrap of food that passes my lips! I am up for having friends on here that can motivate (shame) me into getting off my bum!

Replies

• snodac
    snodac Posts: 7 Member
    Ninja style love it!
  • osterfly
    osterfly Posts: 1 Member
    I did every diet in the book before I finally stopped dieting and started eating clean. I lost 50lbs and because of it and finally feel like I have control over my body. Every day you eat well and exercise is a little victory. Don't beat yourself up if you slip, you can always turn it around. I really like the Beach Body videos (21 day fix is a good one) because you can easily do them at home if you don't have a lot of time. Those ninja moves can really help too. :wink: Feel free to add me if you like and good luck! You can do it!!!
  • hrdll17
    hrdll17 Posts: 4 Member
    This is what I was told my a dietitian, eat with in 1 hour of getting up. Have a lot of protein in the morning, even if you have a slice of turkey eat it. Yogurt in midmorning. Lunch again protein, and fiber, midafternoon fruit. With dinner get rid of the carbs, have fruit with you dinner either before or after. Load up on vegetables & protein at dinner, I've been having no sugar added fruit cocktail with my dinner and I'm enjoying it. I've lost 3 lbs in less then 2 weeks. She said 2 to 3 lbs a month. Exercising walking at least 2 miles 3 times a week to start, even if you have to go to the mall to get a walk in. I know with children it's very hard to find the time, but you must make time for yourself. I'm 65 yrs old and I've tried every diet under the sun, nothing worked, this is the best advice I've ever received. Good Luck to you all, and please don't forget you are very important not only to your family, but to you!
  • HonestBuddha
    HonestBuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Based off your screen name I'd say cut back on drinking alcohol ;-)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited May 2017
    hrdll17 wrote: »
    This is what I was told my a dietitian, eat with in 1 hour of getting up. Have a lot of protein in the morning, even if you have a slice of turkey eat it. Yogurt in midmorning. Lunch again protein, and fiber, midafternoon fruit. With dinner get rid of the carbs, have fruit with you dinner either before or after. Load up on vegetables & protein at dinner, I've been having no sugar added fruit cocktail with my dinner and I'm enjoying it. I've lost 3 lbs in less then 2 weeks. She said 2 to 3 lbs a month. Exercising walking at least 2 miles 3 times a week to start, even if you have to go to the mall to get a walk in. I know with children it's very hard to find the time, but you must make time for yourself. I'm 65 yrs old and I've tried every diet under the sun, nothing worked, this is the best advice I've ever received. Good Luck to you all, and please don't forget you are very important not only to your family, but to you!

Food timing and eating carbs (by the way fruit is carbs) makes absolutely no difference for weight loss. What matters is being in caloric deficit which can be created either by reducing calorie intake or increasing calorie output, basically eating less than you are burning, macro splits are a purely personal preference for nutrition and satiety.

OP check out some of the stickied posts here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Get a food scale, weigh and log your food accurately, be honest and most of all be patient, weight loss doesn't happen overnight.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    While true that it's Calories In / Calories Out (CICO) in my case I have found that High Protein / High Fat / High Fiber with low, low carbs / sugar work best for me in terms of keeping me feeling satiated on the calories allotted to me based on my age, height, weight and activity level.

Check out: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

Also, eating extra fiber helps me feel full. I like psyllium and rice bran and I just mix them into a glass of water with a hand blender stick and drink before a meal or put it directing into what I am eating.

Another one of the things I did to help me to be successful with my weight loss was to **not** include my activity calories burned as part of my calories EVER.

So for example, my allotted daily calories are 1400 for both weight loss and maintenance.

I have very light activity due to the fact that I sit at a desk job. By walking to my office from my car and through out the building (it's a city block long) or by going grocery shopping I walk about a mile and a half every day. My FitBit Alta HR does record my steps / calories burned. To me this is just bonus calories - not to be "eaten back" on a daily basis.

I like the fact that I continue to show progress even when I slip up and treat myself -

So, my last tip is to definitely treat yourself - but to be HONEST about it when you do and record it accurately by weighing everything that you eat.

Good Luck! :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Home workout DVDs are a great help if its difficult to get to a class - most of my exercise is at home using DVDs or Wii Zumba. Depending on the age of your child, you can either push the pram for a nice long walk or chase him around the park to get some exercise in.

I always eat back my exercise calories as otherwise I'd be bored and hungry - I try to make sure my main nutrition is within my daily allowance and use the exercise calories for the treats like biscuits and wine. If I really want something then I WILL work for it!
  • LilOldWineDrinker
    LilOldWineDrinker Posts: 14 Member
    mazdauk wrote: »

I always eat back my exercise calories as otherwise I'd be bored and hungry - I try to make sure my main nutrition is within my daily allowance and use the exercise calories for the treats like biscuits and wine. If I really want something then I WILL work for it!

Love this!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    If you find dieting hard, I suggest you don't try to start out with anything complicated/restrictive in terms of food choices/timings, like IF or paleo etc. Just stick to creating a moderate calorie deficit that you can adjust depending on how you feel after a couple of days. Once you have got the hang of eating at a deficit and feel you won't fall off the wagon anytime soon, feel free to experiment with your macros etc.

And like a previous poster said, read all the stickies; they contain everything you need to know. Good luck!