Starting 5x5

Options
2 questions:

(1) Do I squat with the bar?
(2) How do I know how much weight to start with all the exercises?

Thanks!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Go to the StrongLifts website. All of your questions are answered there. Don't just blindly jump into something.
  • dad_loosbrock
    dad_loosbrock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Start light. You can always add more in the next session if you start too light. The program adds weight each session, it will catch up to you. Lifting lighter will not hurt you. Lifting too much at the beginning might.

If you can't squat with the 45 pound bar, start lower either with dumbbells or lighter preset bars if your gym has them.
    At all times, listen to your body and do not start too aggressively. The weight will catch up to you.
  • GettinScurvy
    GettinScurvy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The app is amazing. You put in your information and it tells you what you should do.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Definitely download the app, it is foolproof. It will tell you where to start, how to progress and when to deload.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Way back when I just started with the bar on all the lifts. Did lots of taking vids to check my form and compared to squat vids by Ripptoe and others.
    10lb increase on lower body each week and 5lbs on upper (as opposed to how the program laid it out increasing each time).
    The slower increase let my ligaments and tendons to catch up on strength without overly stressing them.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    The only lift you will need plates to start with is deadlifts. My gym has 10 lb bumper plates, so I could still start super light. To learn how to squat with a bar, watch videos and practice. It does feel a little different at first.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That depends whos version of 5x5 you starting? There are five versions I know of...if you are asking about the original.

You lift until bar speed slows down and form is good. That is where you would start the program from.