Back at it and going strong. Life after Paleo, Whole 30. Keto? No thanks?

Options
mi2mina
mi2mina Posts: 24 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I recently have been analyzing why over the past few years I have been within the same 10 pounds after losing over 30 pounds. When I first started MFP I really didn't know what was healthy, and what wasn't. When I ate whatever I wanted and watch calorie intake, that was when I really lost weight.
After losing all of the weight, I thought let me try paleo diet, so that meant less carbs or better yet not really any carbs. It worked for a while, but then realistically didn't work out. I felt deprived.
My experience with whole 30 was very hard, but well worth it. It was like an experiment that showed how my body reacted to certain foods. What foods affected my moods. I definitely learned what foods help my digestive system. When I process a well balanced diet of proteins fruits, and vegetables I am able to have a decent BM. When I process too many starches or carbs, or processed foods I am constipated. There are certain foods that my body is unable to process. I had the best energy with whole 30, but realistically I missed eating some of the carbs. I feel that after whole 30 I was deprived for so long, that eventually I ended up binging. I am a pretty active person, and have been wondering why I haven't been losing weight eating somewhat healthy. I came to realization that you may be eating healthier foods, but there is a thing where you can overeat too much healthy foods. It is all about portion control. My Doctor told me that I needed to count my calories. That is the most consistent way you know how much food you can consume a day with losing or to maintain weight. On that note, I don't want to restrict myself completely or go on some crazy diet, although I do know the difference of what is healthy and what isn't. I still have been indulging in some sweets, but have been doing sweets with at least some protein in it. My weakness is popcorn, ice cream. Also for my sweet tooth I have been eating cereal, but a somewhat healthy cereal to kick the sweet tooth I have from time to time. This time I know that I will have my good and bad days, but the key and goal here is to keep moving forward with counting my daily intake a long with exercise. I plan on getting to goal weight. I decided to make short mini goals and not long term ones to keep me motivated each week. If I want a beer, I am going to drink a beer. If I want candy, I'm going to eat some. Know when to stop. OOOOh one more thing! I also have been drinking water every morning to jump start my day one glass, I feel it has sped up my metabolism. One new thing I have been doing is waiting 30 minutes for seconds. If I am still hungry then, I will eat but so many encounters I just do the portion amount drink a glass of water before every meal, and surprisingly I am full.

Keto people out there I commend you, its hard. I'm not one to not eat carbs at all. I need carbs for energy but realistically for me I am unable to eat like that. I want to be able to incorporate lifes challenges when I go out to eat, or to a party, or a wedding with delicious food.

Replies

• CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hello, mi2mina! Way to go on starting back at MyFitnessPal; you can certainly achieve your goals!

You are right about all those diets you tried, by the way. While health is important, eating healthy food is completely separate from losing weight. Even if I eat low-carb, organic, completely unprocessed, vegan food brought from Heaven on the wings of angels I will still gain weight if I eat too much of it. And what you said about binging after restrictive diets really rang true for me! If you have a super-strict diet and go off it it is very easy to eat too much as you feel deprived. A lot of people try to aim for a certain percentage of healthy food vs. treats--something like eating nutrient-dense food 80% of the time or something like that. This can help give balance and nutrition in a sustainable way.

Also, I too drink water before meals. It helps me to feel far more full. However, it does not speed up your metabolism or at least if it did, it would be a medical miracle! Drinking plenty of water is important, however, as it provides satiety and keeps you alive. ;)

I'm looking forward to watching you succeed--you're going to do great!