Homemade Breaded and fried chicken

liftorgohome
liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
Just a little rant here. I picked home made breaded chicken and it has 170 calories for one piece. Then if I pick home made breaded chicken pieces then it's like 80 calories. WTF chicken is chicken. A lot of the foods you have to enter the exact brand, how it's cooked, etc. and even then there are multiple ones to pick from.

Replies

• mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Welcome to myfitnesspal
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    It's kind of a pain, and I resisted logging my food for a while because I found it irritating. I think it helps, though. I like to use the scanning function when I can because it seems to work so much faster. Sometimes I'll pick food just because I know I can scan it and not have to go looking for it (lol).

I'm sure it's not perfect, but you could probably just scan the ingredients if you're baking something and then adjust the portion size to a reasonably close guess.

I have not gotten into actually weighing my food yet. I think if I need to start doing that I'll figure it all out one day...weigh a bunch of chicken and steak and pork chops and things and match it up with my Tupperware containers...then just repeat my recipes.

The duplicates in the food database can make it pretty confusing, too.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I think it's assumed that pieces don't contain skin or fat. Therefore they are less calories. That said - if I am going to eat home made fried chicken I am not going to worry about the calories! Really...

If you really want to know the calories of something, try to look it up in the USDA data base:
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/900?manu=&fgcd=&ds=
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Use the recipe builder. Those entries are user generated and can be anything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Use your own recipe for homemade breaded chicken if you are making it yourself...
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member

I didn't know I could do this. I will have to figure it out. Thanks
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    tjkita wrote: »
    Just a little rant here. I picked home made breaded chicken and it has 170 calories for one piece. Then if I pick home made breaded chicken pieces then it's like 80 calories. WTF chicken is chicken. A lot of the foods you have to enter the exact brand, how it's cooked, etc. and even then there are multiple ones to pick from.

Most entries have been entered by other users. Those two users could have breaded the chicken differently or used a different binding agent. One could have been dark meat and one light meat. One could have left the skin on and another could have removed the skin.

That's why you don't use other people's vague entry. Log the chicken using a USDA entry by weight. Log the egg. Log the bread crumbs using the brand. Once you are logging for awhile the stuff you eat often is right there in your Recent list and you don't have to search through the whole database. Easy peasy :smile:
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Weigh your ingredients and log them.

This goes for everything you eat.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Actually I choose MFP 'cuz we can enter our own recipes. I mostly cook/eat from scratch. A tad confusing a first, but easy enough when I figured it all out.

I like MFP telling me the nutrients I'm eating, too. At 51, I'm just a bit more concerned about that than I was a few decades ago.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Most entries have been entered by other users. Those two users could have breaded the chicken differently or used a different binding agent. One could have been dark meat and one light meat. One could have left the skin on and another could have removed the skin.

That's why you don't use other people's vague entry. Log the chicken using a USDA entry by weight. Log the egg. Log the bread crumbs using the brand. Once you are logging for awhile the stuff you eat often is right there in your Recent list and you don't have to search through the whole database. Easy peasy :smile:

one "piece" could be 50 grams and another "piece" could be 120 grams.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member

I didn't know I could do this. I will have to figure it out. Thanks

Use the old recipe tool. Thank me later.