Half Marathon

Options
BeYouTiful94
BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I'm thinking about training for a half-marathon and just kind of want some more info from others who have done one or know anything about it.

I am 22 yo, 5'5.5", 149 lbs. I currently get on the treadmill and jog for about 20 minutes, and usually get somewhere near around 2 miles. I do this every other day, so either 3 or 4 days a week. I also strength train every other day. I've never run an anything. I've found this 12-week training schedule by this guy named Hal Higdon online. I've chosen the Novice 1 plan. So my questions are:

1. Any opinions on this plan?
2. Does it have to be 12 weeks? I'm either wanting to run on Oct 28 or Dec 10 (haven't decided yet). Would that mean that I should wait to start training until exactly 12 weeks before either of them (like in August or September)? Or can I make it longer?
3. Hal's plan has a 5K and a 10K in it. I wasn't actually planning on running in either one of those, but should I?
4. Can I train on a treadmill, or should all of my runs be outside? Or can I do half-and-half?
5. Hal's plan says to cut back on strength training ... what does that mean? Like don't lift as heavy weights, don't do as many reps/sets, or don't do certain lifting?
6. Nutrition? Anything specific?
7. Any other tips?

Oh also, I have ridiculously flat feet, like no arch whatsoever ... Is there anything I should beware of there? Anything in particular I should do? I wear Nike Flex Experience RN 4 tennis shoes with some Dr. Scholl's Active Series in them right now. I honestly didn't pick them out for any reason other than I like the color. My arches don't bother me when I do my treadmill jogs now, but I kinda have a feeling that could change outside and for 13 miles.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So, I'm thinking about training for a half-marathon and just kind of want some more info from others who have done one or know anything about it.

I am 22 yo, 5'5.5", 149 lbs. I currently get on the treadmill and jog for about 20 minutes, and usually get somewhere near around 2 miles. I do this every other day, so either 3 or 4 days a week. I also strength train every other day. I've never run an anything. I've found this 12-week training schedule by this guy named Hal Higdon online. I've chosen the Novice 1 plan. So my questions are:

1. Any opinions on this plan? It's a good plan. As good as any out there.
    2. Does it have to be 12 weeks? I'm either wanting to run on Oct 28 or Dec 10 (haven't decided yet). Would that mean that I should wait to start training until exactly 12 weeks before either of them (like in August or September)? Or can I make it longer? The plan should be followed as written. However, you can do any other training plan, running scheme or anything else you'd like to do before. Prior to starting my Half Marathon training plan, I trained and ran in 5K's and a 4 miler.
    3. Hal's plan has a 5K and a 10K in it. I wasn't actually planning on running in either one of those, but should I? A 5K is a "gateway" race. Once you start racing, you may never get out. A 5 or 10K is a good place to start to see if you like racing. However, it can be adictive
    4. Can I train on a treadmill, or should all of my runs be outside? Or can I do half-and-half? Since Half marathons are run out side, at least half your runs should be outside. If prefer running outside to the treadmill (dreadmill) and only use it if the weather is horrible.
    5. Hal's plan says to cut back on strength training ... what does that mean? Like don't lift as heavy weights, don't do as many reps/sets, or don't do certain lifting? You can try,http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf. Strong is good
    6. Nutrition? Anything specific? Eat a good healty diet keeping within your calorie goals. Running is not a license to eat whatever you want.
    7. Any other tips? Enjoy the run.

Oh also, I have ridiculously flat feet, like no arch whatsoever ... Is there anything I should beware of there? Anything in particular I should do? Get fitted with good shoes by someone who knows what they are doing. A running store is a good place to start. I wear Nike Flex Experience RN 4 tennis shoes with some Dr. Scholl's Active Series in them right now. I honestly didn't pick them out for any reason other than I like the color. My arches don't bother me when I do my treadmill jogs now, but I kinda have a feeling that could change outside and for 13 miles.

• mikemelick
    mikemelick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really like the advice pondee629 posted. It is all good. I would add that you should work your way up to a six mile run before you start the program. So if you are at two miles now do a run that is one mile longer once per week until you get to six. You don't have to do the 5k and 10k as races but do simulate them on your own. Invest in a GPS watch to set your pace and distance. That said, actual races and your long weekend run are the time to nail down your race day routine. Experiment with your pre-race dinner & breakfast to make sure it works for you. Get to bed earlier and get up well before start time, lay out all your gear the night before, check the weather etc. just like you have to do on race day. Use the long runs to determine how many energy gels you need to carry, how much water you need etc. Leave water, bananas, gels whatever along your route where you can get to them.
  • scrappyfrog
    scrappyfrog Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi! Chiming in to add that while you build up to the 6 miles that mikemelick suggested, don't increase to much too quickly. The rule of thumb I have heard is don't increase more than 10% of total miles per week. In my early weeks of increasing distance, I only increased my long run .25 miles a week until I hit 5 miles, and then I increased in .5 mile increments. Do what works for you, the point is just to avoid injury. You also asked about if you had to do it in 12 weeks. In my experience, there is inevitably something that keeps me from doing a long run on the weekend every now and then...I get sick, schedule doesn't allow it...you know, just life stuff. I like to build in a two week or so cushion just for those circumstances. If I don't need them, then I'll just repeat a week or something. That's just what has worked for me, I'm by no means a competitive runner! I have done several races though, including two half marathons. Good luck to you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

1. Any opinions on this plan?
    2. Does it have to be 12 weeks? I'm either wanting to run on Oct 28 or Dec 10 (haven't decided yet). Would that mean that I should wait to start training until exactly 12 weeks before either of them (like in August or September)? Or can I make it longer?
    3. Hal's plan has a 5K and a 10K in it. I wasn't actually planning on running in either one of those, but should I?
    4. Can I train on a treadmill, or should all of my runs be outside? Or can I do half-and-half?
    5. Hal's plan says to cut back on strength training ... what does that mean? Like don't lift as heavy weights, don't do as many reps/sets, or don't do certain lifting?
    6. Nutrition? Anything specific?
    7. Any other tips?

1. Solid plan, Higdon is an excellent choice.
    2. Build your base. The better base you have the easier it will be. If you work up to higher mileage than the start, don't go backwards to pick up the plan.
    3. You don't have to. Some people like to get a race day experience in before the half.
    4. I would suggest as much training outside as possible, but do what fits your schedule best.
    5. I would not cut back lifting, until the last few weeks before the race. However depending on the program you are following, you may need to adjust it. Compound lifts, following a plan that gives you the most bang for your buck.
    6. Determine your in race fueling if needed. Eat a balanced diet otherwise. Some people get super hungry from running, some don't
    7. Have fun!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You'll need to work on increasing your distance each week. When I followed a half training plan I ran 2-3 days for 3-4 miles a day, and then another day as a 'long day' where I increased my distance a bit each week. Working up to the 13.1 goal.

Since you have so much time to work with, perhaps start with a 10k training program, and that should transition pretty well into a half marathon training plan.

Assuming you will run the half outside, you don't want all your training to be on a treadmill. You will likely find you run at a different pace outside. It can be daunting to think of running outside when you have not before (been there, done that) but give it a try.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The advice that has been given so far has been solid. Hal Higdon's novice 1 is a really popular plan and it sounds like you are in a perfect spot to get your training started on the right foot. I would begin the plan 12 weeks out from your event. Until then, work on your base building, which is the most important aspect of training for an endurance race. This is best done by doing long, slow runs. Try to increase the length of one of your runs by a half mile each week. Make sure you are doing this run at a slow, comfortable (i.e. conversational) pace. This is very important for developing cardiovascular endurance. It is okay to train on the treadmill if that is your preference, but I would try to do your long run outside. You might want to look into running groups in your area. Many local running stores have groups that meet on the weekends for their long runs. They are a great way to ease into a program because you can find somebody that you can talk with while you run and that helps to control your pace. You can also learn a lot from more experienced runners. Don't be shy about going because you are new to running. Runners love to help new runners fall in love with their sport.

I also echo the advice of getting properly fitted for shoes. A good running store will watch your gait and talk to you about your habits and help you to find the right shoe. This can go a long way in avoiding injury down the road when you get into higher mileage.

As far as strength training goes, I think it is good if you can keep up your current schedule, but you might find that too much heavy lifting, especially legs, interferes with your running and adds to fatigue. I would plan to adjust as necessary. When I am training, I try to stick to body weight exercises only, but that is just me. There are lots of lifting plans out there for runners. I would not plan on cutting back too much though. Far too many runners (myself included) end up injured because they forego the lifting in favor of running more miles. Finding a balance is a good thing.

Finally, there is a group in the challenges sub-categories for monthly running challenges. I highly recommend checking it out. Even if you just lurk, there is a lot of running talk and lots of experienced people there that are always willing to offer advice. You can post questions daily and expect to get answers.

Good luck!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    personally I would expect to take longer than the 12 weeks any training plan suggests. You need to be flexible and may find you have to repeat weeks for injury or any other reason. Getting up to running 4 miles BEFORE starting the plan is a good thing, I would also adjust the plan to repeat some of the weeks, and inserting drop-down weeks as well where you reduce the mileage. I would also try and get comfortable running 10 miles – so doing several 10 mile runs within your training.

Doing shorter races is excellent preparation – it gets you used to the atmosphere of races, and gives you mini-targets. Getting properly fitted for running shoes is also a must, what works for you a couple of miles on a treadmill may make you weep after 6 miles.

Also – get outside for definite. Running outside is different to a treadmill. The ground surface changes, and you have to work harder to propel yourself forwards.

Finally – hills. Get running up some hills. Even if your race is completely flat, hills will help.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    There is also the Training for a Half Marathon group, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1788-half-marathon-training-group you may want to check out.
  • BeYouTiful94
    Options
    Thank you all for answering my questions and giving me suggestions. I really appreciate it!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice already. I'd like to emphasize that pretty much all training plans for a half marathon assume a prerequisite level of running ability. I don't know what Hal Higdon's assumed prerequisite is for starting his 12 week program, but I'd guess it calls for being able to run more that 2 miles.

At a guess, I'd suggest you build up to the ability to run at least 3 miles easy each day you run, a long run of at least an hour once a week, and gradually build to running 15 miles a week before you even start the formal training program. More miles is better, but adding them too fast is asking for injury. An hour and a half would be good for a long run, but probably not necessary before the formal program. Pay close attention to what the plan says you should be able to do before you start, and if it wants more than I said train to the prerequisite before you start the formal training program. You might need to learn to run slower in order to sustain running for more time.

And yes, run outside as much as possible. If the weather precludes outdoor running, even an indoor track is better preparation for a road race than a treadmill. The treadmill isn't totally useless, but it is training of last resort for most distance runners.
  • BeYouTiful94
    Options
    Thank you!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Definitely good running shoes and socks. Moisture wicking running clothes especially now that the weather is warming up. Water/sweat proof sunscreen especially for those long runs. Once you start running 60 minutes + you'll want to strategize how you will hydrate, even sooner if the weather is hot. I find I can go about 7 miles in cooler weather without any water. If it's warm I start hydrating around 5 miles in. I use a hand held water bottle.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Since you have so much time before the races, I would start building base now. You will do better and enjoy your long runs more if they are not more than 50% of your total weekly mileage. You also decrease the chance of injury. I would get all of your runs to 3 miles, then add a day, then start adding to your long run. Try to get to at least 25 mpw before starting your plan.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    All great advice. My two cents is to follow and TRUST the plan. I've done 17 halfs, 4 full and an ultra. There's a reason the plan is st up the way it is. Oh and properly fitting shoes are a must. Sounds like your an over pronator (flat feed) like me which means you need a good stability shoe.