I'm just at a loss

Options
I'm 100 lbs overweight. Not much weight lifting history. Want to add strength training to my diet. Heard it's healthy. But I can't afford a trainer 3 times per week. And I don't know the exercise to do, etc. Thinking stronglifts 5X5? The fitbod app? But that sounds like a long gym session. I just don't know where to begin.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is probably the simplest, most straight forward program. Each workout takes 30 minutes or so.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts to get you going. It's easy to follow and not too time consuming.

Depending on you level of fitness you may not want to try progressing at the suggested rate. Focus on form 1st.

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    The variable to success even on stronglifts which sunk me, is that my gym was small and everybody wants to squat and bench....not enough equipment. So keep that in mind if you have the option of Gyms to select from. Stronglifts is 30 minutes "IF" you can move from machine to machine at will. I couldn't. I quit the gym because my times seemed to line up with half the local population.
  • NicoleKhb
    NicoleKhb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 100 lbs overweight. Not much weight lifting history. Want to add strength training to my diet. Heard it's healthy. But I can't afford a trainer 3 times per week. And I don't know the exercise to do, etc. Thinking stronglifts 5X5? The fitbod app? But that sounds like a long gym session. I just don't know where to begin.

Why don't you try youtube, there are lots of trainers that upload on there free of charge....i do HIIT (Jo Wicks) 4times a week in the comfort of my own home.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, gets my vote.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking at the Training section of www.bodybuilding.com. Stronglifts is a great program, but you might find others that are interesting to you personally or more suitable based on time and equipment availability. There's tons of info on this site. Check it out!