Some questions regarding workout and deficit.

Options
Hey all.

I'll try to make this short...

I'm going to workout today with a friend. He does bro splits. I am fresh, and I'm gonna do whatever he does today. My usual routine is a full body workout consisting of 27 sets.

I'm in a calorie deficit, losing like 1.5-2 lbs per week. If I go do this workout today, and it's more extreme than my usual, do I need to eat a bunch after and go over my target for a day or two? Should I be doing bro splits with potentially 5 sets per exercise in a deficit?

Any help I would greatly appreciate! Thoughts?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would eat like normal. You may do more sets but you'll be hitting fewer muscles. That, in combination with the level of calorie burn that comes from lifting weights, will mean that it will generally equal out. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Have fun!
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your diet due to a one-day change in your workout routine. If you think it will take more energy, just be sure you have carbs in your system to fuel your energy required.

I don't think the number of sets per exercise in a deficit really matters. You could do 3-5. I calculate based on body part and do about 15-20 sets per body part. For example, when I work chest, I do 5 sets of 4 different exercises....flat bench press, decline bench press, pec decs, and chest press machine with neutral grip. Hope that helps. Have a good workout!
  • beanfacekilla
    beanfacekilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Yeah we did chest/triceps. Did some abs as well. It was a good workout. Feel pretty pumped up ATM.

I dunno if I am gonna switch to split workouts or stay on full body. I might fmgi with the dude tomorrow for leg day, we'll see....