Questions about muscle aches

Options
So I found the rowing machine in my gym and I've fallen in love with it, even though I can't go for more than 6 minutes right now. I go at a pretty moderate pace, and part of the reason why I can't go for more than 6 minutes is that, typically around the 5 minute mark, my shoulders start hurting a lot. I don't really get DOMS, though, and if I do it's really gentle and barely noticeable. Should I just power through the pain if it's not causing me any long term pain, or is it a good idea to stop and switch to doing a different exercise? And will this go away eventually? I'd really like to go longer on the rowing machine.

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If there are coaches available at your gym or an equipment trainer I'd ask them to check your form on the machine. If something is off that could be causing pain.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You may have the resistance too high for your current fitness level. I agree with doing a form check (even if you just video tape it then watch a tutorial on YouTube).
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Agree on the form check. Also be aware (assuming it's a Concept2 rower), higher damper setting is more for strength whereas lower is more cardio. Presumably as you're trying to build up your time you want more of a CV workout, so don't be tempted to dial up the damper for vanity's sake.

ETA: Ah I see usmcp said it better than me!
  • DiamondCookies
    DiamondCookies Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely do a form check next time I go, I have a desk job and I'm often sitting at a desk doing work so I know proper back form is something I struggle with on a day to day basis.

I actually can't change the resistance, they're permanently locked at a 10. (And @clarewho, yes they are Concept2 rowers) None of the gym staff will remove the lock either. :neutral:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I actually can't change the resistance, they're permanently locked at a 10

That's ridiculous. Maybe you can talk to the club manager about unlocking it. Show them this, from Concept 2:
    Debunking the Myths: Damper Setting
    concept2.com/news/debunking-myths-damper-setting-stroke-rate-and-intensity
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting your form in order but would suggest doing interval training, I do one minute steady rowing then 30 second all out rowing repeated till I reach my goal, usually 11 minutes, in the 1 minute of steady rowing you can correct in slips in form that may have occurred.