Keto Diet Micro-nutrients?

Options
Hey, does anyone know what micronutrient levels I should have in my goals if I'm on a Keto Diet?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You will probably want to boost up your sodium/magnesium/potassium as those will get flushed out of your body a lot easier. You can supplement with Mag Citrate tablets (200-400mg a day is good) and Nu-Salt (or other low/non-sodium substitute). I like making "keto-rade" with a glass of water with a dash of Nu-Salt, table salt and Mio.

A daily multi wouldn't hurt to make sure you're getting your nutrients. Otherwise, just make sure to eat lots of veggies. Spinach, green peppers, tomatoes, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Lots of people who do keto just drown themselves in butter, bacon and cream cheese. It's better to balance your diet with LOTS of veggies and varied sources of protein: eggs, red meat, chicken, fish, organ meat if you're brave.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You will probably want to boost up your sodium/magnesium/potassium as those will get flushed out of your body a lot easier. You can supplement with Mag Citrate tablets (200-400mg a day is good) and Nu-Salt (or other low/non-sodium substitute). I like making "keto-rade" with a glass of water with a dash of Nu-Salt, table salt and Mio.

A daily multi wouldn't hurt to make sure you're getting your nutrients. Otherwise, just make sure to eat lots of veggies. Spinach, green peppers, tomatoes, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Lots of people who do keto just drown themselves in butter, bacon and cream cheese. It's better to balance your diet with LOTS of veggies and varied sources of protein: eggs, red meat, chicken, fish, organ meat if you're brave.

Actually, you don't have to be brave to eat organ meat - hot dogs, most sausages, etc already contain organ meats.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

Actually, you don't have to be brave to eat organ meat - hot dogs, most sausages, etc already contain organ meats.

Very true. It also depends on what kind of culture you come from. I personally really like skewered chicken hearts.
  • pat0254
    pat0254 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I keep my fat intake at 75%, protein at 20% and carbs, no more then 5%. I take bouillon 3 times a day for sodium . I love having steak and eggs for dinner. I have a bullet proof coffee for breakfast and eat 2 meals a day. I feel full all the time.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I also suggest you check out the flowing main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group