"Fasting" as a CBT tool.

Options
"Active Fasting" is a CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) reframing tool of "Therapeutic Psychogenics" that changes how we experience abstinence of eating and compulsive overeating between the planned meals of a structured habit pattern of eating.

With active fasting, we think of the period of abstinence as an important activity (devotion to health in a holistic way similar to religious fasts), burning fat and calories, instead of eating and storing them. We think of it as a satisfying experience of accomplishment and progress instead of a period of deprivation, suffering and nothingness.

Food addicts often fall into a habit of eating as an activity that provides pleasure and meaning when we get home, often eating all night that can add up to thousands of calories. There was a time where I thought, "If I can't eat what I feel like, when I feel like it, what's the use?" It was as if the freedom to eat was what I lived for, the reason for it all. When I contemplated not eating between meals, not snacking, it shook me, and I would white-knuckle it for a while, and usually break down. I could not live my evenings with that nothingness.

But when the periods between meals became "fasting" in order to achieve my hearts desire of a healthy weight, burning calories and fat, I was able to sustain abstinence until the next meal I had planned. I substituted the gratification of snacking and grazing for the gratification of fasting and burning fat. I was able to delay the gratification from eating until the next meal.

CBT is a form of therapy derived from the observation that the way we think causes the way we feel. If we can change the way we think about a situation or experience, we can change the way we feel about it, and our feelings have a powerful influence on our behavior and "will power".

"Active Fasting" is cited by clients as one of the most important and helpful of the Therapeutic Psychogenic techniques they learn about and use.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the No "S" diet? That is what I do. I used to snack all day but it didn't work for me. I was never hungry and I ate way too much. Being hungry between meals is good thing to learn. My hunger cues were lost, but are now found.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Is this a newer offshoot of CBT? I like this concept.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

CBT is a form of therapy derived from the observation that the way we think causes the way we feel. If we can change the way we think about a situation or experience, we can change the way we feel about it, and our feelings have a powerful influence on our behavior and "will power".

Absolutely. I employ some of this. Instead of directly dealing with foods and calories, which is too late--resistance is tough, it's much better to go far upstream and address the source, what you call "cognitive behavior". You can achieve a lot by manipulating the mind.

However, it's not all the mind though. You also need good strategies -- what I call good calorie management -- to take care of the body.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I will try this. Thank you
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I needed this today.
    I'm fasting today and because of this post, framing it in a more positive manner. It's not a punishment. It's a commitment to health, happiness, and self love.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    WilliamAndersonLMHC Posts: 117 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @endlessfall16 - Great! The good strategies (which are in the mind!) are what behavior therapy is all about, programming them in with conditioning and modeling technique so they become habitual and automatic. "Will-power" and good intentions are usually not enough. It's a science that has evolved since the 1960's and has become one of the greatest enhancements in efforts to improve the human condition.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    Options
    @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink - No, can't say I've heard of that, but there are so many! The first diet I was put on was 1956, and that's when my weight and eating problems started! We could fill books with all the diets I tried until I quit with the diets.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    Options
    @wellnesschaser - Yes, it is one of the many facets of CBT. There will never be an end to them, as they are limitless as the imagination and inventiveness of the mind is limitless. The concept is as old as man itself, with many teachings of it in the Bible and works of other great philosophers. It has always been thought of as common sense (though not common enough!) Behavioral science has given it an explanation in logic and structure, and a name to label it, CBT, and the has caused an explosion in its diversity and use.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You really should look up the No S Diet, because it's not a diet, it's not eating all the time. It's what I'm doing now, I'm doing what you are proposing, doing what my mom told me, and I even picked it up from Allen Carr, but I like to think about the time I'm fasting as a time to wait for and look forward to a good meal, and just do other things than eating, not at time to "burn fat".

We need good habits, a string of good habits that form a good routine. Willpower alone is not something we should try to rely on for weight management.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    @WilliamAndersonLMHC I enjoyed CBT the most in my undergrad psych studies. It does correlate with mindfulness. It's just nice and linear and trackable, no? Any further reading suggestions on this would be welcome!
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @wellnesschaser - Was it mainly CBT or more of my work that you wanted to read about? If you Google "William Anderson, LMHC" you'll find loads of my work. My eclectic behavior therapy for weight loss is heavily CBT, but I generally don't label it as such. I just lead readers and clients to think in new ways. If you Google "cognitive behavior therapy", you should come up with loads about CBT. There is so much good material out there that it's hard to eliminate any possibilities to explore.