One Week with MFP and...

Options
...and I'm down 13.5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 days ago, I went to the doctor to find that I was 290 lbs. With his guidance, I created a simple "calories in, calories out" plan (1400 max intake per day), trying to incorporate a 30 minute workout in 5 days a week along with whatever walking I could add in to my daily routine. To be fair, I probably started MFP one week ago at 287ish (I know I came in "extra heavy" at the doctor's weigh in), but by Thursday, I was down to 284.5. This morning, the scale read 276.5! I basically just waved at the 280s as I passed them by!

Now I know these are disproportionate, "first week burn" results-- the real test will be getting through Week 2 and every week after that as the scale slows down. But today, this moment, I feel great! I couldn't have done it without MFP and all of the great people I've met here already! WE CAN DO THIS, PEOPLE!!!

Anyone else experience anything similar? I'd love to hear about it! Want to join me on my journey? Send me a friend request-- I've learned through MFP that the best way to help myself is to help others!

Replies

• sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!!!! Friend request on the way! :flowerforyou:
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing a great job already :smile: keep up the great work and good luck on your journey
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    WOW...13.5 lbs is great...good job :-D
  • michelle_vankat
    Options
    Great job! :happy:
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the good work :)

I lost 6lb my first week of watching my intake and water consumption. Lost a steady 2 pounds a week ever since. :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    glad i am not the only one who lost a silly amount in their first week.
    it took me 3 weeks to steady out on my weight loss.

A brilliant start
  • shaverkl191
    shaverkl191 Posts: 131
    Options
    Wow that is great! Keep up the good work!!!
  • KerryLou_19
    Options
    great job! :D
  • Fuzzy68
    Fuzzy68 Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow WELL DONE almost a stone in the 1st week that really is fantastic..Good luck for week 2 and the rest of your weightloss journey :))
  • Langstein
    Langstein Posts: 11
    Options
    I had a similar situation. I'm down 7.4 in week one. Your kickin' butt! Great work!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    First week losses are usually pretty good, but they are still losses!! And they inspire you to keep going. It's why a baby is so cute. Otherwise, all the diaper changing, feeding, rocking, crying could really get to a person! (And I'm a mom to 5!)
  • marcusisntfunny
    Options
    Glad to see you're off and running with it, keep it up!

I can tell you from experience that it does melt away pretty fast at first, but you have to be careful - That's why a lot of people rebound. They melt off the quick 15-20lbs and think "Good enough" but then don't realize that it can go back on just as quickly that soon.

For me, it was pretty drastic as well. The first month I dropped 28lbs alone, mostly from going from a completely sedentary lifestyle and eating complete crap, to watching every calorie and running/lifting weights.

It'll slow down eventually, realistically to about 2lbs a week at a max, but it'll never stop as long as you're doing what you're doing.

Keep it up!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    ... waved good bye to the 190's - I am LOVING the tools & support here- I NEVER would have tried 30 day shred if I hadn't seen the results on here. I thought it was just another 'scam'
    Oh and probably would never have tried Kashi - likin' it
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Now I know these are disproportionate, "first week burn" results
    True, but it's not unusual at all for people to lose bigger amounts in the beginning. It's when people start expecting to sustain that weight loss that they can get discouraged.

Way to go! And keep up the hard work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!