Vegan ...or dairy/gluten free protein powders...

Options
I am fully aware that I'm asking for cremated unicorns by trying to find a vegan or dairy free protein powder that doesn't taste like total crap..
I've tried MGM, vega sport... is there really nothin else?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Uhhh vegan =/= gluten free.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I like this one, I guess it's considered a " smoothie" but anyways, I have tried the Berry and the vanilla one but I only like this chocolate one I find the other ones to be too chalky. I just put it in a shaker bottle with some kind of nut milk. 81ltwo3vkqyf.png
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Relic protein
  • padulagio
    padulagio Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Orgain organic protein plant based powder
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Pea protein
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's gluten free but satisfast makes a vegan powder. It's kind of thick/chunky but the taste is pretty good and I don't mind the texture
  • nilesian
    nilesian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure about GF but I'm lactose intolerant and I quite like the soya protein isolate from MyProtein (in the UK).only thing is you have to make it up with about twice as much water else it's more like a pudding!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior Warrior Blend. I have the mocha and vanilla and am happy with both. I do recommend a blender and a good amount of liquid.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Aloha from Target is the best one I've found
  • LabrishaS
    LabrishaS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spiru -tein by Nature Plus have really good vegan options.
    I acutally use Kashi's brand it is the cleanest vegan protein that I have found so far, but it has no sugar at all added. I just mix it with fruit, or coco powder and pepermint extract. I drink Spir-tein when I am not concerned with sugar.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    I like this one, I guess it's considered a " smoothie" but anyways, I have tried the Berry and the vanilla one but I only like this chocolate one I find the other ones to be too chalky. I just put it in a shaker bottle with some kind of nut milk. 81ltwo3vkqyf.png

I was going to suggest Vega as well except I buy the Vega Essentials Shake and mix it with crushed ice, milk (although I use lactose free obviously almond milk or something similar would be a substitute), strawberries and half a banana.

I'll have to try this! Maybe a little PB2 aswell!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I am fully aware that I'm asking for cremated unicorns by trying to find a vegan or dairy free protein powder that doesn't taste like total crap..
    I've tried MGM, vega sport... is there really nothin else?

I'm pretty sure cremated unicorns are not vegan. I use the Vega all in one, natural flavor. It's a little gritty, but taste is fine. Although I blend it with spinach, fruit, and flaxseed. So that could mask taste.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I like Vega One, chocolate is my favourite - make sure to use a shaker cup, as mentioned it is gritty
    I've tried Progressive Harmonized Vegan Protein and the one by Arbonne, but I find them too sweet and thin
  • alexada17
    alexada17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Vega but it's pretty expensive. Naturade Vegan Smart is a good back up though! You can get a massive bag at Sam's club for a decent price. The vanilla tastes like a birthday cake batter. I add some pb powder to spruce it up though!
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Amazing grass peanut chocolate
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've tried at least a dozen vegan protein powders, and I hated nearly every one. I couldn't stomach Vega, Plant Fusion, Sunwarrior, MGM, Orgain, Six Star soy, Garden of life, Naturade, or Now foods protein. I found Naturliga vanilla Pea Protein and Genisoy chocolate or vanilla soy protein palatable, but not particularly appealing.

The only protein I found that I actually enjoy is Arbonne chocolate protein shake mix, which kinda sucks because it's super expensive and not pure protein (though 20g per 160 calories fits well for me). I would recommend trying everything else first, but if you don't like any of them, and you are willing to pay over 2$ a serving for a protein shake, it's worth a shot. I blend it with PB2, unsweetened cashew milk and ice, and I find it really tasty and thick, with no gritty texture or weird aftertaste. The vanilla isn't great on its own, but with PB2 and strawberries it's pretty good.

I get mine through my mom's rep (yup, it's MLM :/ ) but I made it very clear I have zero interest in buying anything else and if she sends me spam I will stop buying the shakes from her. If you want to avoid that route altogether, it's usually available on Amazon through various reps, though price and shipping times vary a lot.

*and in case the part about it being overpriced and only recommended as a last resort for super-picky people with money to burn didn't make it clear, I do NOT sell Arbonne.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,072 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior Warrior Blend. I have the mocha and vanilla and am happy with both. I do recommend a blender and a good amount of liquid.

I have the chocolate and blended it in the blender with the recommended amount of liquid (Skim Plus). I had to throw it out after the first swallow, as I was gagging and about to throw up (sorry!).

Any suggestions on how to make this more palatable? I do need the protein. Also, even though I used the blender, it seemed grainy.

Banana and nut milk? A teaspoon in oatmeal and work my way up? Please suggest away...
  • Meggers120Now
    Meggers120Now Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned a Vega brand or two. I have tried many of the different Vega options and didn't like them too much... until I tried the Vega Choc-a-lot Protein Smoothie. It's not super-protein heavy though with 15g per serving. 90 calories though which is less than the other Vega options. I found that it wasn't nearly as gritty or chalky as the Sport or One Vega blends. I mix one scoop with a cup of frozen dark sweet cherries and water and blend it all up. It has no dairy, gluten or soy, has no added sugar, artificial flavours, colours or sweeteners. I am a big fan! Now if only Costco would start carrying it in the big tubs...
  • staceya70
    staceya70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe garden of life Raw is vegan and gluten free.