Excerises at home for someone 300+

Options
My fitness level is non exsistant right now. I'm looking for exercises I can do at home, that wont kill my knees. When I do squats they make a cracking sound the whole time. I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound very healthy.

Replies

• Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    I got a recumbent bike and my knees are fine now. I've lost 62 lbs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    cordney wrote: »
    I started with walking. I've lost 50lbs.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking walking and then some walking.

Swimming is good too
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I'll second (or fourth) walking and swimming.

Once you've lost some weight and have improved your fitness somewhat, you can start looking into more demanding exercises. Or just keep walking if you enjoy it :smile:

Good luck and happy walks!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming is how I started, back when I was 385.
  • Geona2011
    Geona2011 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I heard swimming is great. I plan on doing that. I am 226 lbs and my knees & back are jacked up, it hurts to walk. I am excited to try the swim class at my local community pool.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Some people may find that swimming does actually hurt their joints, depending on their swim technique and how knackered their joints are.

If that happens, you can try walking in the pool instead. The water supports your weight and provides resistance; if nothing else it'll help build up muscle around the damaged joints so that you can try other things.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Ease into it. Makes no sense from doing nothing then going full throttle. You asking to get hurt. No need to repeat what other folks said.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I always think that 30day shred is a good place to start
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options

The 30 day shred is HARD! Maybe once she can actually walk and swim a decent amount.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My fitness level is non exsistant right now. I'm looking for exercises I can do at home, that wont kill my knees. When I do squats they make a cracking sound the whole time. I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound very healthy.

First of all I would recommend chatting to your doctor before starting any exercise, particularly if you're concerned about your knees.

I had a bad back, knee and hip last year, weighed around 256lbs and started out with some of HASFIT's videos which are aimed at those who are obese, have limited mobility or seniors. Most videos have a modified version for extremely low impact and a beginner version. They don't cost anything and most don't need any equipment or just some light dumbells/water bottles. Once I had a week or two of those out of the way I also started doing some of their beginners strength training which helped with my back and knee issues immensely.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I had the same trouble with squats initially, but gradually worked up to them. As far as squats are concerned, if you can do shallower squats without the cracking noise, you can do those and build strength to do deeper ones. As you lose weight it will get better too. Go gently, never do anything that hurts, and give yourself at least a day of recovery between workouts to make sure your body is okay with the current level before progressing.

If even really shallow squats are too much right now, stationary cycling is a great way to build leg strength without too much stress on your knees.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Walking. Start slow to avoid injury or overdoing it. Park your car further away from your destination. If you don't have a walking track near home start with walking 2 or 3 blocks and then return home. Also be sure to wear comfortable supportive footwear. Best of luck! You can do it!
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

If your knees are already cracking then do not do the 30 Day Shred! My knees have never been the same since trying it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another vote for walking. I started at 330. Dusted off my old treadmill and started walking on it. As I felt better, I did some slow jogging at times, but mostly walking.

When I got to ~275, I did the C25K.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

High impact - lots of squats.............nope.

OP - "Walk At Home" Leslie Sansone, low impact with zero choreography. You can go slower if needed because you don't have to keep up with "counts." Start with one of the mini-walks & then add on when you are ready.

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As suggested already walking is a great start. Leslie Sansone has a tonne of walking videos on youtube, they are actually pretty fun.
  • Asherix
    Asherix Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely walking! I started off using Mapmywalk to keep track. I couldn't go very far at first but speed and distance came with time. It is also fun to look at my walks on the map. It doesn't matter if you can only go down the block and back at first. You are still beating everyone who is sitting on the couch ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    what everyone else says,walking and there are some videos online that you sit in a chair and do exercises. so look up chair exercises, since you are sitting it should be easier on your knees as well.any kind of exercise will help.