I keep trying

Options
Hi. I've been on this site off and on for a while now. I keep trying to do this and keep slipping. I'm trying something different by getting onto the forums. I've watched a friend do really well using this site, and feel inspired to keep trying. For some reason, I have a hard time imagining myself at a healthy weight. I keep sabotaging myself, and I don't know why. I've got people to talk to about the issues that are adding to that mess in my head, but I think I probably need to have people to talk with about the struggle of losing the extra weight. I've never been at a healthy weight. I don't know what that would look like, and oddly enough I think I might be afraid of it. Anyhow, I'm going to keep trying because I'm tired of being sad.

Replies

• TrulyJulie0022
    TrulyJulie0022 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Never give up!! Try to shift your perspective a bit and soon the positivity will follow. The most important thing is that you feel healthy and also good about yourself. If you don't, then making a change in your lifestyle will be beneficial. We are all here to support you on this journey! Please feel free to ask me any questions you have. I am just a few months away from becoming a Registered Dietitian and would be happy to answer any inquiries that maybhelp you with this process! :)
  • serene212
    serene212 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So relatable!! Good luck.
  • stm0721
    stm0721 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand. I know for me, I somehow always feel like I am not worth it. I definitely think loving yourself is the 1st step in the journey of becoming healthy. If I continue to look at it from the viewpoint that I care about myself enough to care for myself, it makes it easier. Good luck and I am here any time you need to talk!
  • barberqueen5
    barberqueen5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Add me! Always looking to give support!
  • ceo903
    ceo903 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I sabotage myself ALL THE TIME. I can justify every bad move I make-- "I'm ovulating, so it's ok", "I had a crap day, so it's ok", etc. I'm FINALLY getting my s*** together and have found both an online nutrition/ motivation coach and a local dude to help me with my workouts.

Find an exercise you really LOVE...mine is MMA training. I actually look forward to going and that makes all the difference in the world :).
  • graykitten225
    graykitten225 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Girl I hear you! I always sabotage myself. I'm also kind of afraid of being fit. I lost almost half of my goal before (40 pounds) and I felt so exposed and vulnerable when people noticed. I actually didn't like being looked at. It's crazy how the thing you hate (your extra weight) can also be what's protected you. I eventually gained it all back. I'm starting over now myself because you know what, I miss running. I hated it so much before I started doing it, but after the first couple weeks it became my alone time to think and focus. And I did feel good afterwards, from the endorphins. The hardest part about weight loss is definitely mental, not physical.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The community Success Stories are a great way to get that "If she can, I can too" spirit. It just takes time and patience and persistence and honesty. Use the forums, use your mfp friends, use your RL friends. You will succeed.
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I completely understand about being a little scared. I don't know why. I feel the same way. I'm glad you're here! <3
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're thinking too far ahead and panicking. That's normal. Instead just focus on what you can do today. Make a healthy dinner and be proud of it. Lose a pound. Lose another pound. Set yourself small goals and place your focus there and before you know it, you'll be where you never thought possible. It's how every one of us does it. It's the whole thing of big picture syndrome. You don't live your life in a big picture situation, like 'I have to lose 50lbs', sure, but it doesn't happen overnight. It takes time. You are a sum of your day to day decisions and being a healthier you is one you can choose to make every day. That is literally it. I hope this helped and wasn't too preach-y. I just wanted to get across that taking things slow is a valid option too, it'll give you a chance to get comfortable with the way things are changing.