I took a week off

Options
So last Thursday I was in Phoenix for work and did my long run. The temp was 102 and the humidity was an awful 7%. I felt like I was running with a hair dryer aimed directly at my nose. Anyway, I went to bed that night feeling like crap and sure enough woke up the same. By Sunday it turned into a nasty sinus infection. I took Saturday and Sunday off from running (Friday and Tuesday are my non-running days) and went to run on Monday. Still felt awful so I walked for the amount of time I should have ran. Kept Tuesday off and still felt awful on Wednesday so I skipped my run again. Today was only slightly better, feelings and symptom-wise so I walked for 2 hours instead of logging a slow 2 hour run. Tomorrow is a scheduled off day so I was going to try to do some biking in the morning. I've gained a few pounds (6) because of my lack of exercise and because I haven't really been careful about what I eat since feeling better was my first priority as I head out of town again on Sunday. My question is, can I start running again on Saturday without cutting back the distance providing I feel OK? I run 7/5/7/6/12 each week. I haven't taken this much time off from running in the past year at this volume. I feel guilty for taking the time off and the weight gain has me bummed and I am cranky because I miss running but honestly felt awful enough to skip my workouts. Thx.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It surprises me you have gained so much weight unless you have gone crazy with the food- I haven't run for 9 days (injury) and am 2lbs down, which I presume is mainly water.

If youve run that volume for a while you should be fine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you are retaining water due to dehydration.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is probably water retention from not feeling well, a change in diet, different exercise routine, et al. After a week off you should be able to get back to your distances but be sure to start slowly, make the first one or two easy runs, and check out how you're feeling. Adjust accordingly. If still feeling a little poorly, make those first runs walks. Get moving slowly. Ease back into it as you feel. most of all, Enjoy the run.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know I'm retaining water because I'm a female and well, yeah that too plus I've been dying of thirst and my sore throats only feels relief when I drink. I probably have been drinking 3-4x what I normally do during the day. One day I binged on some cookies but I agree, nothing that would have been 21,000 calories to gain 6lbs. Still feel not great this morning. :(
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up... good portion will be water retention, food volume.

I just came back from vacation and weighed in at 189.9 lbs. Two days later I dropped back down to 181 lbs.... so, there's that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know I'm retaining water because I'm a female and well, yeah that too plus I've been dying of thirst and my sore throats only feels relief when I drink. I probably have been drinking 3-4x what I normally do during the day. One day I binged on some cookies but I agree, nothing that would have been 21,000 calories to gain 6lbs. Still feel not great this morning. :(

I'd you're drinking that much water you shouldn't be retaining it!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Your first few runs probably won't feel all that great, so just take it really slow and easy. Walk run if you need to. It will get better.

I'm in the same position because of a bad chest cold, and I'm not really looking forward to my first couple of runs, though I miss getting out every day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did you fly to Phoenix? Flying always makes me retain water.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I would ease back into it. As long as you feel better, go for it.
  • Charlene_1985
    Options
    Did you fly to Phoenix? Flying always makes me retain water.

I'm a flight attendant, I fly everywhere. I pointed Phoenix out as I've never been in such a hot dry climate for a long run like that. I've grown accustomed to spending 15 days a month on the dry, filthy airplanes without "side effects".
  • Charlene_1985
    Options
    I did 30 minutes on the elliptical today without issues so I'll try my 7 miles tomorrow morning. Thanks again for all the replies. Being sick sucks.