How Much food to eat by volume...

Options
So i know the rule is calorie deficit to lose weight. But I have heard that you should eat, at each meal, an amount of food equivalent to the size of your fist to avoid stretching out your stomach. I don't know if there is any factual evidence behind this.
So that's why I'm asking, how much food do you eat at each meal - as far as meal size, not calories.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    So i know the rule is calorie deficit to lose weight. But I have heard that you should eat, at each meal, an amount of food equivalent to the size of your fist to avoid stretching out your stomach. I don't know if there is any factual evidence behind this.
    So that's why I'm asking, how much food do you eat at each meal - as far as meal size, not calories.

Nope. Just weigh out what you want in keeping with your calorie goal and macro split, people have different preference to timing/size of meals.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    that won't matter for weight loss but it may matter for satiety. some people are volume eaters and feel better with the full feeling that comes from large amounts of food so they may bulk up on veg and low cal items and it definitely doesn't hinder weight loss.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options

This may be true if you've had gastric bypass, but I don't think the average person needs to worry about stretching out their stomach.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    by the way.... i should have said earlier. when calories are the determining factor for food intake and not "volume" you can eat one meal a day if you want. you don't have to over complicate things by evening out your meals, or eating at specific times or none of that.

Do what works for you and stay within the calorie allotment for the day.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater so I love foods that make me feel full. Take an 8oz steak and chop it up add 4 cups (about 80g) of spinach and make a steak Caesar salad out of it with some cheese and croutons and you have a huge filling delicious meal for minimal calories. Sometimes when you're on a deficit it really helps to trick the mind into not feeling "deprived".
    Being a volume eater while on a deficit has never stopped my tummy measurements from shrinking. (I track measurements both my waist and my tummy since I tend to carry weight on my stomach when I gain).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Eat as many calories and as big a portion as you like at each meal, whatever keeps you satisfied and satiated.

Most of my meals don't fit on a standard dinner plate. "eat off a side plate" is one of my biggest pet peeves in regards to dieting tips.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It all about the calories. Find a sustainable way to stay satisfied within your calorie goal and your golden.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    That isn't recommended because of stretching out your stomach, it was about a guide on portion sizes. If you weigh your food, eat whatever size of meat or portion of veggies you want within your calories.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Weight loss is determined by calorie deficit, although if you have digestive issues (GERD, Gastritis, IBS, etc), I would advise for small frequent meals (experience).
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    An 8-ounce grilled sirloin steak provides about 450 calories if it is a lean cut, and up to 672 calories if it is a T-bone steak trimmed to 1/8 inches of fat. A filet mignon can contain 823 calories per 8-ounce serving, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database.

not all things are created equal. going off portion size is a recipe for disaster.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm a "volume eater", I never consider the size of the food on my plate. I gravitate towards foods that give me enough bulk to be satiated, but it's calories and macros I consider. The size is what it is.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    This is up there on the list of "strangest myths about weight loss" that I have ever seen.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    The stomach is a remarkable organ. It can stretch to accommodate quite a bit of food before it becomes uncomfortable, and then return to its normal size after the food has become digested.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    u4zh532sbcb4.jpg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Go big or go home :laugh:

Seriously though, a calorie deficit is all you should look at. The stomach with stretch and contract; that's part of its job..... you can either eat large quantities at your calories or small- just as long as you reach your calories.

I go through phases of volume eating or smaller meals. I just make sure to hit my calories.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Eat as much green stuff as you can "stomach" . Meaning of course kale, not mint chocolate chip.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your fist size (unless it's very small or very large) can be used to approximate a reasonable portion of most proteins and carbs if you're eating out or otherwise unable to weigh the food. But it's not a proxy for the total amount to eat per meal.