Butter vs. No Cal Spray

Options
kburns0709
kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
Hey guys! I was just wondering what your thoughts were about subbing in the I can't believe it's not butter no calorie spray for regular butter. On one hand it seems perfect for cutting out butter, but I've also heard that it can be worse for you since it's more processed or whatever. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Stick to real butter but use it in moderation. No need to add other chemicals to your body needlessly.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    I use it every once in a while when I am close to my calorie cap. To me, it tastes just like real butter and so far I have not grown a third eye from the chemicals or anything. ; )
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use that spray in the mornings on my waffles. I tried several low cal spreadable butters (smart balance, promise, etc.) and figured that a few sprays of the "can't believe its not butter" is just as good and saves my calories.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I use that spray in the mornings on my waffles. I tried several low cal spreadable butters (smart balance, promise, etc.) and figured that a few sprays of the "can't believe its not butter" is just as good and saves my calories.

Those are margarines, not butters.

OP: Use real butter. It's real. The ingredient lists on fake butters are scary.
  • bharter1967
    Options
    I personally would stick with real butter. Margarine is only a molecule different that plastic. Margarine won't draw flies if left out for days in the heat. If a nasty fly won't eat it, I don't want to put it in my body. Just sayin'.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Real, delicious, butter.

OR, I use a "Misto," where you can add whatever kind of oil you want. It's basically a pump-aerosol can. I use organic sunflower oil (for high heat-- if it won't heat up, I use extra virgin olive oil).
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I use the real stuff...no fake crap is going in my body. I'd rather have the good stuff and less of it than processed crud that doesn't 'go bad'. If it doesn't rot...there is something wrong with it.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I use the real stuff...no fake crap is going in my body. I'd rather have the good stuff and less of it than processed crud that doesn't 'go bad'. If it doesn't rot...there is something wrong with it.

Yup.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Something for the OP to consider: Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread. Its in most grocery stores. Its basically butter w/ healthy fats instead of bad fats. We use it because my wife is a vegetarian, but its health benefits are excellent. Calorie wise, its about the same as butter (kinda like Olive Oil being really good for you as opposed to various other nasty cooking oils).

P.S. Here are the nutritional labels and ingredients for 2 of their butter products:
    http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/eb_pdfs/products/olive-oil-nutrition-info.pdf
    http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/eb_pdfs/products/original-nutrition-info.pdf
  • bearsfan2334
    bearsfan2334 Posts: 137
    Options
    Has anyone used cashew butter?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Something for the OP to consider: Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread. Its in most grocery stores. Its basically butter w/ healthy fats instead of bad fats. We use it because my wife is a vegetarian, but its health benefits are excellent. Calorie wise, its about the same as butter (kinda like Olive Oil being really good for you as opposed to various other nasty cooking oils).

P.S. Here are the nutritional labels and ingredients for 2 of their butter products:
    http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/eb_pdfs/products/olive-oil-nutrition-info.pdf

Butter is cream derived from milk. Sorry but to call these two products "basically butter w/healthy fats instead of bad fats" is a bit misleading.
  • Rilke
    Options

First ingredient is soybean oil = margarine. That stuff is not "basically butter"; it's nothing to do with butter.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Butter is cream derived from milk. Sorry but to call these two products "basically butter w/healthy fats instead of bad fats" is a bit misleading.
    First ingredient is soybean oil = margarine. That stuff is not "basically butter"; it's nothing to do with butter.

My deepest and most sincere apologies for the language I used. I meant to say it 'basically' tastes like butter w/ healthier fats. Personally, I MIGHT use a tablespoon of butter once every 2 wks. Crap! I did it again! I meant "this travesty of a product that does not hold a candle to the healthiest food on earth... butter". And we use this product for my vegetarian wife. It has alot of Omega 3's, no trans fat (margarine has this), no hydrogenated oils (margarine has this), no cholesterol, low saturated fat (3.5 compared to 20+ in margarine), etc.

Anyways, I put up the nutritional labels for her to make her own decision. I kinda thought that was nice of me... and not very misleading. I'm not a huge proponent, just throwing it out there as a healthier option. But hey... eat butter... eat lots of it...
  • Rilke
    Options

My deepest and most sincere apologies for the language I used. I meant to say it 'basically' tastes like butter w/ healthier fats. Personally, I MIGHT use a tablespoon of butter once every 2 wks. Crap! I did it again! I meant "this travesty of a product that does not hold a candle to the healthiest food on earth... butter". And we use this product for my vegetarian wife. It has alot of Omega 3's, no trans fat (margarine has this), no hydrogenated oils (margarine has this), no cholesterol, low saturated fat (3.5 compared to 20+ in margarine), etc.

Anyways, I put up the nutritional labels for her to make her own decision. I kinda thought that was nice of me... and not very misleading. I'm not a huge proponent, just throwing it out there as a healthier option. But hey... eat butter... eat lots of it...

Nope, sorry, it's still margarine. Marginally better margarine maybe.

And thank you; I love butter :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I use both in moderation.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have tried the spray it creeps me out. It doesn't act like butter or margarine. I use I can't believe its not butter light (GASP!!) to save on the fat and I like it. I also like real butter. I am trying to stop using the synthetic stuff, but there are something I just love too much
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat either but when I do i use the spray. No third eyes here and I like to save the calories.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I was a vegan for 4 years....so I did use this stuff and it does taste good. I just happen to consume dairy now...which is why I chose butter.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

If you consider expeller pressed soybean oil to be healthier than butter, by all means....eat away at this stuff. It's amazing how the notion of saturated fats being evil is so deeply ingrained. Never mind that there are many different types of sat fats, several of which do some very good things to do the body.

I never said butter is the healthiest food on earth. Just saying that the product you linked is margarine...plain and simple. No need to get so defensive about it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that makes the spray "0 cal" is that you use much less of it (a spritz or two is much less than even 1 tsp butter). So my thought would be that you are going to be getting very little of the processed stuff too. Might be good for once in a while.

But I don't use ANYTHING, butter or margarine or sprays, on most of my food. Veggies, pancakes, waffles, corn, even popcorn - I prefer them without any butter. I do put a bit on my toast (real butter, usually 1-2 tsp, and work it into my calorie and fat allotment for the day). I refuse to use margarine, and even avoid I Can't Believe It's not Butter, partly because they have to hydrogenate the oils (and I avoid those mostly) and partly because butter just tastes better. If you're going to consume the calories, might as well enjoy it!