Needing support with thyroid weight loss issues

Options
I've been logging my meals,I am disabled to activity is when I'm not in alot of Pain.i feel I could be sitting there and gaining weight.im getting down and am looking motivation

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Sorry to read you have thyroid issues, they are no fun and weight is often seen as the one and only problem, in the world outside ours, the ones who think of it as an excuse. I hope you have a supportive doctor and have effective treatment.

Picking up on your pain problems, I've found my pain problems were probably down to my thyroid situation. Low thyroid function reduces the efficient of the digestive tract and will in time, if left untreated or treated less optimally, could dispose us to developing problems with different foods. I discovered my standard pain relief was causing my pain, told to take pain relief before exercise, I often failed but also failed to have the pain. Tracking this down pointed to salicylate the active ingredient in most pain relief product. The problem eventually became the more salicylate I eliminated from my diet the more I needed to eliminate. I must say we are all different.

Its such a complicated problem. I was told of t4 levo, take this and all will be well. It wasn't. I had problems converting it into the active hormone t3, its not a take fore granted situation. Its tied to our digestive function (which is complicated) and how well or not we pass our nutritional requirements into the blood stream which causes deficiencies. Many of us find it helpful to take supplements, vitamins and minerals. Selenium is essential for conversion, found in Brazil nuts, one a day is said to be all we need but I can't stop at one a day, now I have the salicylate sensitivity sorted with a phenol busting product. Some unfortunate people have a genetic predisposition which causes them to be even less able to make the conversion.

Most of us who are hypo have Hashimoto's thyroiditis determined by the presence of antibodies, unfortunately doctors do not think this information might be helpful to us, but identifying the cause by testing and addressing it can help reduce the symptoms.

I can't remember which site it is which lists the 300 symptoms of thyroid issues, you should find it on a simple search for the 300 symptoms. I find the hypothyroidmom site very helpful. Also Stop the thyroid Madness site is good too. some people do find it favours NDT products like Amour but there is a wealth of information about the other treatments too. I think they also have lists of recommended doctors put forward by readers. I also found Thyroid UK helpful, it like other national sites has up to now information. Much of the information is hard to achieve here in the UK because doctors are not permitted to test t3 levels which goes against many of the recomendations for ensuring good thyroid function.

There is a group on here for hyper and hypo but unfortunately it is rather quiet.

Not sure if this is the kind of motivation you are looking for but all the very best.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Beg you pardon, I should have referred to exercise. I used to do as much I was able when my knees were really bad. Its hard when it hits you like a wall like this getting in the way of everything which was normal for you.

In some thyroid conditions doing too much exercise is counter productive. I think it is if the adrenals are low, it takes them lower. (not on the radar of my medical system) So that could be a reason not to be too hard on yourself.

If you have access to a pool, moving in water would take the pressure of your joints. Its not necessary to swim, moving your limbs or holding yourself so you float takes effort. Water offers resistance so your muscles would be working differently to doing the same thing in the air. If you are having a really bad day, try to remember maintaining your posture takes more effort than slouching. Making yourself get off the chair every hour is good for many reasons. I heard a report by a physio, giving advice for older people and exercise, she was happy that posture maintenance, standing and the like occasionally during the day went a good way towards exercise and was beneficial for their well being. If its helpful to them its not bad for us.

Try to get out and about, so you are not alone with your thoughts of what is restricted, too much. You might be able to find some interest groups or activities you can take part in, may be quiz nights in your area as a distraction. That was really difficult for me because my system reacts to many smells as well as foods, brought on by my thyroid condition. I'm not able to be in confined spaces for too long because of people's perfumes, laundry residues and things give me issues, I've even had difficulties in public gardens, needed to keep more than arms length, so swimming pools, concerts, communal things are out for me.

The worst thing for feeling low is being alone.
  • claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    lusk_debra wrote: »
    I've been logging my meals,I am disabled to activity is when I'm not in alot of Pain.i feel I could be sitting there and gaining weight.im getting down and am looking motivation

Hi hi. There's a hypothyroid group that you can check out here. :) the people are pretty nice and open. I'd recommend you to get out and walk and try to choose to think happy thoughts! It will help! :)