Help! Why am I gaining weight when I am doing cardio?

Options
Hi everyone: I have been under my caloric intake for this week (with the exception of yesterday when I was over it), but I seem to be gaining weight, not losing it. My clothes are fitting better, so I must be doing something right, but why am I gaining? All I have been doing the last 3 weeks is running.. no weights at all so I can't be gaining muscle :sad: Please help as it is really disheartening!

Replies

• helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone: I have been under my caloric intake for this week (with the exception of yesterday when I was over it), but I seem to be gaining weight, not losing it. My clothes are fitting better, so I must be doing something right, but why am I gaining? All I have been doing the last 3 weeks is running.. no weights at all so I can't be gaining muscle :sad: Please help as it is really disheartening!
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't go under your calorie intake, always eat enough. If you don't, your body will go into starvation mode, making it harder, or even impossible to lose weight. Also, be sure to eat at least some of your calories earned from all that cardio you're doing!

What is your daily intake set for? If it's only at 1200, you might need to up it.

I was at 1200 and it worked for about a month, but then I stopped losing, I increased my limit to 1400, and I am back on track.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    its only at 1200 and I am having a hard enough time reaching that with what I am eating through the week! I will try adding a few more items throughout the day to try and get it up a bit. Is anyone else going through this?
  • snowday
    snowday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying! I have been on a big loosing streak. I weighed myself today and I was 3 pounds heavier! I just don't see how its possible. I have been doing intervals on the treadmill and doing turbo jam. Today I will be sucking down the water!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, it's generally cyclical...I will actually gain a pound or three right before my period. But if it's not close to that time of the month my response would be to increase my cardio by 15-30 minutes and increase my calories by 200-300/day since you're eating under your exercise calories.

I suspect you may not be eating enough.
  • sac04809
    sac04809 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was going through the exact same thing. However i upped my caloric intake to the 1200 kcal, and i had to back of on my running. I stayed at the same weight for 10 days. A friend at work told me to stay at it, and I did. Finally i got on the scale on the 11th day and dropped 2 pounds, a few days later another pound, and a few days later yet another pound. So, you might need to increase your intake , which i know it is hard, and wait it will eventually come off. You can do it!!!
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also, if you weren't doing much running before, you might actually be adding muscle in your legs (your body counts as weights). I did the couch to 5k program last summer and didn't lose any weight at all until about week 5 due to all the leg muscle I was adding. I lost a couple inches in the waist though!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If you just started running, you certainly can gain muscle in the form of density. It's hard to grow your muscle size by doing cardio (very hard), but as you exercise a muscle, even slow twitch muscles like the ones used for running, you can absolutely gain density. The body will try to make muscles the most efficient they can be for any activity given enough time. Gaining density improves oxygen intake, while you can't really grow new muscle fibers, you can increase the length and cell density of the existing ones, which will increase your efficiency without actually making you look any more muscular (but somewhat more defined).
    This will add weight over the course of weeks and months. That being said, your goal is 13 lbs. If that is all you are looking to lose (and by that I mean your total loss goal is 13), you won't see large losses (generally). 1/2 pound a week would be a very good loss rate for that type of goal IMHO.

Hope this helps, best luck.
  • princessdrake
    princessdrake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me this week!! I worked my butt off this week doing the Jillian 30 day shred workouts, I took a Zumba class on Thursday on top of my daily workouts AND I did close to 50 minutes of cardio using the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD. I weighed in Saturday and had gained 2lbs!!! I was livid and very discouraged. But my fit and health conscience hubby talked me down and made me realize I wasn't eating nearly enough. I haven't been tracking my calories on here like I should so when I went in this morning to get an idea of how I ate last week I found that most days I was only at 800 net calories! I didn't even realize I was that low!!

Hang in there!!!
  • sweatpea
    Options
    (I did close to 50 minutes of cardio using the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD)

princessdrake - how do you like the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD? I bought it a couple of weeks ago and hadn't opened it. Just recently joined a gym and been going there and doing Zumba instead. Now I'm debating is I should return it.
  • princessdrake
    princessdrake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just now saw this question. I actually love the Biggest Loser DVD's! You can pick which workouts you want to do, so last night I did Bob's 20 mins of Cardio Max then switched over and did Jililan's 20 min power sculpt workout! LOVE IT!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    If you just started running, you certainly can gain muscle in the form of density. It's hard to grow your muscle size by doing cardio (very hard), but as you exercise a muscle, even slow twitch muscles like the ones used for running, you can absolutely gain density. The body will try to make muscles the most efficient they can be for any activity given enough time. Gaining density improves oxygen intake, while you can't really grow new muscle fibers, you can increase the length and cell density of the existing ones, which will increase your efficiency without actually making you look any more muscular (but somewhat more defined).
    This will add weight over the course of weeks and months. That being said, your goal is 13 lbs. If that is all you are looking to lose (and by that I mean your total loss goal is 13), you won't see large losses (generally). 1/2 pound a week would be a very good loss rate for that type of goal IMHO.

IMaHO? :laugh: Just kidding that's what it always reminds me of. Took a bit for me to put it together.:laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

IMaHO? :laugh: Just kidding that's what it always reminds me of. Took a bit for me to put it together.:laugh:

I'm not even going to touch this one. It's far too easy. :tongue:
  • AllisonRiccardi70
    Options
    I have a question. I have been losing weight slowing the past few weeks. I just started the gym doing the bike and treadmill and i am up now 2 pounds,,, what the heck, :angry:
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Water gains with new exercise. Body adjustment to knew activity. Could also be normal body weight fluctuations. Wait and see a couple more weeks/months.

Patience is key. Also take body measurements, they can give a clearer picture then just the scale.

Could be a food issue -No idea what since I haven't checked out your diary.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What are you using to track your calories that you burn from doing cardio? In my experience, the machines and the counts on MFP greatly overestimate how many calories you are burning. So I would perhaps decrease the number of calories you are inputting into MFP for your running. Also, how fast are you running? In my experience (and based on articles I have read), long, slower cardio is not nearly as effective as shorter bursts (intervals). I used to work out on the elliptical at a steady rate for an hour or so and never lost any weight that way. Intervals are the way to go.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I have been losing weight slowing the past few weeks. I just started the gym doing the bike and treadmill and i am up now 2 pounds,,, what the heck, :angry:
    it's water weight. I blame it on replying to 5 year old threads with a question.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I was wondering why this zombie thread popped up… :-) <--old-school smiley

Many people who start a new exercise routine experience temporary weight gain due to water retention. It'll go away in a week or two.

Just make sure that when you estimate your exercise calories, you don't overestimate them. MFP's database is very bad and often produces ridiculous numbers. For example, if I ride my bike at 15 mph for an hour, I burn about 550 calories (depending on wind and elevation), but MFP estimates 744 - 35% too high. If I ate 744 extra calories, I would be over my goal by 194.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 2009...........strong 1st post
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    it's water weight. I blame it on replying to 5 year old threads with a question.

LOL